Design is frustrating and I am not progressing

jongkuvrouw

I am a beginner, and I don't know what else to do to get better at graphic design. I am learning design on my own, so the road is bumpy. I have been following tutorials, but I don't feel like I am progressing. I don't know what else to make. Everything is bad and it's frustrating. Could anyone give me advice on what i should practice doing ? Any advice on projects to do with Typography?
Thank you

OK, as harsh as this might sound... as much as you like something it doesn't automatically translate to mean that you'll be good at it yourself. As great as tutorials are at telling you the basics/fundamentals it doesn't magically give someone creativity and I've even seen this issue on courses, plenty were able to do 'by the numbers' but the ideas they were churning out were incredibly poor.

Why did you want to get into design, what inspired you originally? That's probably a good place to start. Without knowing what you're trying to design and why you're not happy with the results it's hard to advise properly.

I hate a lot of what I design, either because the client has 'suggested' a few things, or I'm just staring at a project too much. Even work I was once happy with, I'll see flaws in as I progress. Design is an iterative process, it's rare to land on a finished idea from the start. Ask any designer about something they've done and they'll probably be able to give you a list of things they'd change or do differently, regardless of how good the final result may look to you.

Why did you want to get into design, what inspired you originally?

I left school and had no job. I got offered a job at a screen printing place, I needed the money to fund my trips with a karate club I was involved in to go to World Championships and stuff. I never intended to be a printer/designer at all. I had no idea what I wanted to do, and still don't, 22 years later.

Why did you want to get into design, what inspired you originally? That's probably a good place to start. Without knowing what you're trying to design and why you're not happy with the results it's hard to advise properly.

I hate a lot of what I design, either because the client has 'suggested' a few things, or I'm just staring at a project too much. Even work I was once happy with, I'll see flaws in as I progress. Design is an iterative process, it's rare to land on a finished idea from the start. Ask any designer about something they've done and they'll probably be able to give you a list of things they'd change or do differently, regardless of how good the final result may look to you.

Thank you! This helped a ton!!

OK, as harsh as this might sound... as much as you like something it doesn't automatically translate to mean that you'll be good at it yourself. As great as tutorials are at telling you the basics/fundamentals it doesn't magically give someone creativity and I've even seen this issue on courses, plenty were able to do 'by the numbers' but the ideas they were churning out were incredibly poor.

Understandable. This will help me become more aware of the things i produce. I definitely think I have creativity, but sometimes I am not able to turn what i picture in my head into reality. Thanks tho!

Back