Define Graphic Design?

Graphic Design (n.) - The man-made consumer world around you.

I think that is a pretty accurate definition because honestly, everywhere you go, unless you live in a rural environment, you will see graphic design in some form or fashion. Even in a rural environment you will see it because someone is bound to have a Coca-Cola lying around or something similar.

I'm just getting into graphic design in college (2nd semester of freshman year) so they haven't given us their definition yet but I feel that is an accurate representation.

Graphic design isn't art. It's visual communication where not only the designer is involved but others who view it as well.

Hmm, not "Fine" art as such....

I tend to agree more with Leventhan's view on GD....although the romantic in me pipes up and says Graphic Design is the art of visual communication.

Graphic design is many things, it interacts with so many other aspects of life (film, media, animation, fashion, music etc) its impossible to define it as a single thing.

Id say some graphic design can be considered art, but then thats my opinion others will disagree. I believe that some tshirt/hoodie/shoe graphics are art, or is that more fashion design? I use illustration in my work, which is considered graphic design, however illustration derives from fine art. So is my work art or graphic design?

Sorry for rambling, I shouldn't try and define such a huge concept late at night.

Whether its illustration, fashion etc its still art in the end. That's exactly what graphic design is, art :)

Berry, a tricky one...
Let's say you are on the aiport in a country that speaks a languages that you do not know. And you want your luggage back, let's say.

By following the icons and signage you will be able to get it back (with some luck, depending on the country). So tell me... what did all that design sold you?

Just a thought ; )

-anyway don't worry I believe that MOST of the time we sell... with doodles.

Mike // DFCLStudio said:
Berry, a tricky one...
Let's say you are on the aiport in a country that speaks a languages that you do not know. And you want your luggage back, let's say.

By following the icons and signage you will be able to get it back (with some luck, depending on the country). So tell me... what did all that design sold you?

Just a thought ; )

-anyway don't worry I believe that MOST of the time we sell... with doodles.

It 'sold' me a route to get my luggage back. ;)

Design communication generally instills an action of getting someone to either do something or change mentally perception or values. Persuasion is therefore selling. A sign is still a directional
selling vehicle to communicate needed or desired information.
A beautiful carved chair may create a desire and need to purchase. We get sold so many things every minute of the day through design, not everyone has price tag on it. But i see where your coming from...ishhh..;)

I would say this:

Design is the potential to communicate an abstract idea in a concise, and engaging manner. The potential the distinguish one idea from another. The potential to reach out to a specific, targeted group of people and evoke emotion, provide understanding, and shape an experience.

Graphic design is the set of rules and guides we employ to design, hopefully well. The arrangement of visual content in order to communicate a specific message using color, weight, balance, lines, shapes etc.

Past this, I often think of the difference between design and advertising as this: Advertising convinces you, design makes you understand.

A lot of gray area, though!

I also would say that Design is everything you love, and everything you hate. It's just as much about experience as it is about visual communication.

Ooh, the tricky question.
As a whole, I agree with Berry here, and I think it should be underlined (and put in extra-bold 120pt) because there are so many "designers" out there that thinks graphic design is the same as digital art. I partly blame this on Computer Arts Magazine, but that is another discussion.

In every creative field (be it graphic design, interior design etc) there will always be a murmoring amongst it's designers, the whole art/commerce discussion. A tiny "wish" for acceptance that what we do is an art. Art sounds so much better than "seller". We don't want to be salesmen, but artists. Art or not, graphic design isn't self-expression. A graphic designer is about using visual aids (words, pictures, composition) to communicate something. Of course, this can be used for self-expression, there are several self-initiated projects that borderlines graphic design and art, but that isn't in the job-description. If that made sense.

I once asked a girl doing a fine art degree what her worst nightmare would be as an artist, and she told me that it would be "being creative within the confines of a commercial brief", at this point I immediately said, "So are you saying my life is your worst nightmare then?"

Lots of mumbled um's and ah's followed.

I've always thought that graphic design is art with an external source influencing it (of varying amounts obviously), an artist simply creates, whereas a graphic designer always creates within the confines of their brief/medium.

There will always be a fine line between the disciplines of graphic design and art, and this is perhaps the magic of the discipline.

Design to me is a great Idea that is permanently squashed by someone (like a client or boss etc) and made to not look as good as you originally thought. LOL

Back