Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Critique wanted - Logo design for music hub

Discussion in 'Graphic Design & Logo Design Critique:' started by Toots91, May 18, 2012.

1. Toots91

Toots91 Member

Hey again all,

As you were all so great with previous critique, I wanted to know what you all thought of this design I am doing. Its for a friend, all I was told was that its a hub for music/musicians etc. He wanted something which would show coming together and music in one... so I had no thoughts whatsoever and hit a mental block. Then while I was drifting off to sleep I had this crazy idea... 4 people can make a band, use instrument silhouettes to create the bodies and music notes as the heads. I am happy to say everyone I have shown it to loves it, but I wanted to know other people/designers thoughts as I think there is something missing. It's only going to be on a website, and flat colour on T-shirts.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Dorset Music Hub Logo Draft 2 - Copy.jpg
  2. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member

Very smart thinking: like it. Only observation is that the curved line coming off the top of that musical note I don't know the name of (and actually don't even recognise - is it correct? [should add that I'm no expert]) isn't as smooth as it might be.

EDIT: Also, is the keyboard body shape slightly misaligned at the bottom?
    Toots91 likes this.
  3. Katedesign

Katedesign Well-Known Member

Don't think the curved line that we don't recognise matters! It's a great idea! Well done.

Then while I was drifting off to sleep I had this crazy idea...
    It's the fourth step in 'idea generation' - the unconscious works away at problems while you are doing other things! I'm trying to remember the surname of someone I worked with about 12 years ago...tonight at 3am her name will come to me.

I also think the keyboard /misaligned bit - the rule line needs to sit on top(?)
    Toots91 likes this.
  4. Toots91

Toots91 Member

Thanks guys... I actually looked on good old wiki for music symbols to give me ideas... the one with the wavy line is a quaver note / eighth note... no I have no idea either, not since playing recorder in first school! :S Ah I see that now, I will adjust that, thanks Kate :D
  5. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member

Good-o: it is a great design but I also think it's important not to sacrifice accuracy in pursuit of nice looking work.
  6. Corrosive

Corrosive Moderator Staff Member

A quaver is half a crotchet, of which 4 appear in a 4/4 time signature. Hence an 8th note. a semi-quaver is a 16th and so on.
    Minuteman Press likes this.
  7. Tony Hardy

Tony Hardy Well-Known Member

Spoken like a professional.

Really love the idea, lovely execution.
  8. Toots91

Toots91 Member

:-O shame I still don't understand... I'm useless with music, though singing along with some old classics it is another matter :p hehe
  9. Corrosive

Corrosive Moderator Staff Member

Grade 5 music theory & Grade 6 trumpet... I sh*t you not :icon_wink:
  10. Tony Hardy

Haha excellent. I'm a "professional" drummer of a weekend haha.
  11. Minuteman Press

Minuteman Press Moderator

I did grade 1&2 theory in 2009. Was astonished how mathematical the subject of music is. Eye opener.
  12. SparkCreative

SparkCreative Member

Grade 4 trumpet.

Love the logo.
  13. Tony Hardy

Between SparkCreative, Corrosive and myself, we have the start of a cracking rhythm and blues band.
  14. SparkCreative

SparkCreative Member

Haha we would if I could remember any of it. It was a looooong time ago...

ARRIVALS Well-Known Member

I can whistle rather well ..
  16. bluebeaniebelle

bluebeaniebelle New Member

Awesome, love it, really creative too
  17. gprovan

gprovan Member

Great logo!

My only wee niggle is that the microphone looks more like a golf ball on an ice cream cone. I don't know if a small white button would help?

PS. Played trumpet in the local brass band when I was younger. Lot's of trumpeters about!