• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Creating a Charity Auction Website

tbwcf

My Uncle called last night to ask about creating a website for a (annual) charity auction.

Basically every year his hockey club have an auction for various things members of the team club will put up. Weekend in a holiday home, that sort of thing.

Normally they do the auction in person at an event however they're struggling to meet this year so he wondered if there was a way we could create the auction online....

I don't think the ability to take payment online is really an issue, it would be a nice option but not the be all and end all.

Ebay is obviously king of auctions but I don't think there's a way to set it up this weekend for example and end in May?

Wordpress has an auction plugin but it doesn't look great.

Does anyone have any suggestions / know of any existing solutions?

Thanks

Andy

Sunburn

although i hate pay-pal, they do offer the ability to send cash as a gift / and aslo offer donation payments, either one could be good choice with a simple paypal button.

tbwcf

@Chris - yeah that's the plugin I found, cheers.

@Geoff - I've checked this morning and taking payment will happen manually (phone calls cheque) I just need to get the auction/bidding functionality.

Looking like that WP plugin is the only option at the moment and probably the way it'll have to go... any other suggestions?

Greg

Hi Andy,

Does the solution need to be free/open-source?
This one looks quite feature rich > www.phpprobid.com (but £110 +VAT)

Or if not found this open-source, although no demo or example sites using it that I could find, so no idea if it's any good?! > WeBid Support

EDIT: Found a demo for the open-source one: WeBid

tbwcf

Thanks for those Greg! - it doesn't necessarily need to be free but it will probably only be a one off and finishing at during may so I guess costs will need to be kept low as poss (as always).

I'll check those out!