Create outlines for text in InDesign CS2

Hi,

I am new to this Graphic Design Forum.

Can anyone help me with a design problem that I have with InDesign CS2 for Mac? Basically, I am currently creating an 84 page medical journal. I have to send proofs as PDFs, which requires creating outlines of all text first. Currently, I have to go through every individual page, highlighting text and creating outlines. This takes considerable time, and if any changes need to be made then I have to do it all over again.

Is there a faster way of doing this that I have missed? Or has this problem been resolved with InDesign CS3?

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark, as far as I know there is no need to create outlines, just create a "press quality" pdf when you export and the fonts will be embedded within the pdf. This will be fine for any printers to receive or for anyone to view.

Hope that helps?
Cheers, Gareth.

Some printers won't accept that mate (Press ready with fonts embedded) as there may still be issues.

I think it concerns how they create their plates. I know if I open up a PDF (with fonts embedded) into illustrator then the fonts don't come across and they are substituted with generic fonts.

It is worth asking your printer though if they will accept Press ready PDF's with fonts embedded as it will save you a lot of time.

This tutorial may help you as it shows you a way to flatten all your text at once while exporting to PDF.

http://indesignsecrets.com/converting-text-to-outlines-the-right-way.php

Last edited:
Pixels, thanks for that info, I didn't realise as I've never had a problem with it, good to know.

Mark, I'm currently using CS2 but I'm upgrading to CS4 in the next few weeks so will have a look through then and let you know. Can anyone else help Mark with this?

Back