Copyright Question

A

alexcantsleep

I do apologise if this has been posted up before, but my question is to do with a clients design brief. There doing a charity event where there attending a lot of next years tough sporting events (Half Marathon, Marathon, Tough Mudder, tough guy, heroes run etc). They want me to do posters, flyers and a logo for a website that is like 'The Avengers' movie poster, but instead of the actors heads, they want there heads in there place with there charity name in the 'Avengence' font.

I think I know the answer, but I thought Id ask. Will this get me into trouble with the copyright folks?

Cheers

Al

I can't answer your question but are you secretly being sponsored for misuse of 'there' :) ?

The work could potentially get you in trouble but if it's a small scale charity event I probably wouldn't worry about it too much. To play it safe though I'd maybe try and create something in the style of the Avengers poster, without using the actual copyrighted material itself.

The work could potentially get you in trouble but if it's a small scale charity event I probably wouldn't worry about it too much. To play it safe though I'd maybe try and create something in the style of the Avengers poster, without using the actual copyrighted material itself.

^This. Certain types/levels of parody can be acceptable where they don't imply anything negative, etc., but they shouldn't use any copyrighted material (e.g. photography); it's fairly easy to give the impression of something without copying it on a wholesale basis but keep in mind that, in the event of anything contentious, in all likelihood the law would find in favour of the party whose rights are infringed.

Back