Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confectionery packaging concept

Discussion in 'Graphic Design & Logo Design Critique:' started by garywaiman, Oct 11, 2011.

1. garywaiman

garywaiman Member

Hey-loo good people! :icon_inlove:

Yes, I have been burning the midnight oil (and then some) working on a concept for a brief on PPH. I know it may well be a waste to work on it when I haven't even won the brief yet but it's good practice I suppose!

This is the brief:

We need a logo and packaging created for our new packed sweets, Big Mouth. Below is an outline of specific details, more information will be given at the next stage:

These sweets will be available only in newsagents
    The sweet packets will be displayed together as a range of 20 different flavours on a stand 4 x 10 packets
    The packet size dimensions will be in the region of 120mm wide, 130mm long
    • The packaging should be bright, eye catching, bold, colourful and easily distinguishable
    • The logo should be the focus of the brand and may comprise of the name (Big Mouth) only or the name and an including logo picture (such as a mouth)
    • A slogan may be created to enhance the branding
    • There should be a replicable theme produced in the branding and packaging, so that each flavour may be a different shade and colour
    • Must have a window (see through panel to show sweets) at lower end of packet
    • Must say on the front side to the nearest effect “29p or 4 for a £1”
    • Must say on the front side to the nearest effect “no artificial colours, no artificial flavours” or “natural colours & flavours”
    • Must have product description on front side e.g. peach rings, fizzy cola bottles, etc printed or preferably designed
    • May say “new” or “new for 2012”
    • May say e.g. “including lychee flavour” or “including guava flavour”
    • Must be simple and concise “does what it says on the tin”, but still interesting and exciting
    • Must not be an overcrowded design and not congested with information
    • Must not be weird or scary
    • May be funny or amusing
    • May match colour of packaging to sweets

My solution - the brief failed to really allude to some pertinent details, like why the sweets are called "Big Mouth" and what the sweets look like. So I had to improvise and make up some details to fit into the brief.

My design is influenced by my love for Japanese confectionery and junk food packaging - colourful, fairly comic-strip, manga-style graphics and bold colours.

Originally, I had came up with the concept of the Big Mouth brand as a challenge of sorts - with cues on the front to see how much the consumer could eat in one go, with indicator lines across the see-through portion on the right side of the packet to tell you how well you did. However, I scrapped this idea after it was pointed out to me that kids may choke! :icon_yucky: And it was looking too crowded on the front anyway.

The drawing of the apple with the see through portion wraps around to the back of the packet (this was a device of my original concept, which needed space on the left-front-bottom to write some copy).

The "g" in the logo acts as a speech bubble for the mouth in the "u", hence the "bla bla".

Erm, I don't think there is much more to elaborate on. Obviously, if I win the brief, I will further develop this concept but for now, this is what it looks like.

Let me know what you think, ladies and gents. :icon_notworthy:
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  2. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member

Quite like the apple/mouth concept but, as a whole, it looks a bit chaotic.
  3. garywaiman

garywaiman Member

Cheers for the comment Dave. :D The chaotic nature is a bit of a nod to the layout of confectionery packaging from the Far East, most of which is far more elaborate than what I have come up with. As I said, this is still an early concept and more work will be done to it.

But thanks again for the opinion. :D