Colours different on different monitors -- is this something i can do something about

bamme

Hey guys,

The subjectline is basically the question here :) Someone i am volunteering for has noticed her site looks different on one monitor than on another. Is this my fault? I mean is there anyway i could stop this happening??

thankyou! Emma x

Is the monitor plugged into the same machine? Running the same web browser etc etc?

and when you mean different, do you mean only colours or how the whole thing looks. Because if its colours only then the answer is its not your fault and you can't stop it from happening as all monitors are calibrated differently.. Its like the Microsoft Word problem, that no copy of Microsoft Word will open the same word document and look exactly the same.

I hope that helps :)

hitech said:
It is the structure problem. You have to edit your tables tages to make them unchangeable.

Ignore this.

It's likely a calibration issue. Is this between windows and os-x on your machine as I know vista has an issue with some monitors where it can have a yellow cast in certain programs due to dodgy colour profiles. There's also differences between the way windows and os-x uses gamma (windows 2.2 while os was 1.8 iirc, it's now changed to 2.2 though) and this can have a fairly big change in colours.

If it's different between your pc and someone elses then it's likely down to personal preferences or the software on how they set up their colours - seriously there can be a lot of difference.

To make sure it isn't your end in the long term and if you haven't already bought one I would recommend getting a screen calibrator so that your screen is set as close to the 'ideal' profile as possible.

Thanks for the replies everyone (except post number 1..)

To make sure it isn't your end in the long term and if you haven't already bought one I would recommend getting a screen calibrator so that your screen is set as close to the 'ideal' profile as possible.

what does this do? and what do you mean by ideal?

Thankyou :)

emmaburge said:
Thanks for the replies everyone (except post number 1..)

what does this do? and what do you mean by ideal?

Thankyou :)

Basically, windows/os-x sets a default calibration when it's used. This setting is a best case scenario for all screens but every screen is set up slightly differently and that's why most graphic designers digital photographers etc use screen calibrators to set up their display to be as close to the real colours/image as possible.

As to what to use - personally I use a spyder3 elite (with v4 software which just came out :)) There isn't a great deal difference between the spyder3 and the eyeone in my opinion so it was more value for money at the time when I bought it :)

You'll need to calibrate windows and os-x separately if you do get one :)

hey i have this question too! the color difference are so obvious while i have my monitor connected to the laptop. The laptop seems to be em... dimmer. (But no worries now, it totally don't show no color no more :lol:)

I think changing the site in different resolutions may be solved by setting the some attribute of tables used in website. It is some thing like "moveable" attribute. Is it?

Back