Coding for smart phones

last time I tried it (vista x64) it was useless, it was so unbelievably slow and things like ie didn't connect to anything so it was pretty pointless. It might have improved as thats a newer version for 6.5 but my experience doesn't make me want to try it.

Although thinking about it, I can try it for you and report back as I'll be installing windows 7 in a few days. I'm downloading the USA version from your link and I'll post back when I've got it :)

Well it's still as bad as before but it does atleast connect to the internet if you install virtual pc 2007.

Problems
The 'pda' is too big for my screen (20" widescreen) when using wvga
buttons are unresponsive
ie doesn't zoom when you ask it too
just slow
time to load at the beginning was getting onto 5 mins

I recently downgraded to XP as my vista became err yeah. :)
Anyhoo does it still display the page in mobile IE 6, sod ZOOM TBH just want to see if it looks right, also as I'm on XP will it be better?
Cheers fella, much appreciated. :)

I checked it on my current site (imageresolutions.co.uk) and the text on the page was reduced to the width of the display (480 in this case) and it went below the background, opera mobile does the same though. This was in 'full website' not mobile. I gave up due to its lack of response so can't comment on mobile site but if it's like my version it will be all images and text in a row type affair.

I'll add a screeny shortly

EDIT Screeny added. Now some of this is down to my sites design but opera mobile does the same thing with text, not sure on iphone etc. With normal sites like bbc they just narrow the columns accordingly

Attachments

• comp1.jpg
    comp1.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 2
Jaz, before I install windows 7 on Sunday, is there a specific site you would like me to test on the virtual pda or is the above ok :)

Fella you should so take my status. :)
Thank you ever so much but I'm fine at the mo I've got a couple of sites I would want to check as I would get obssed about getting it right in them and TBH I don't have the time either. I'll go with mobile Opera, Andriod and Fennec untill others become available, I imagine Safari and IE will evetually. :)

O do you know as I imagine you would be the man who knows everyone of them, any mobile phone blogs that give good regular info on phones and features like when browser become available for Nokia's at all?

Not specifically for nokia, they're pretty limited, plus opera is usually the go to on symbian.

You do have phonedog, mobileburn, engadget (mobile), pocketnow (more win mo) and then some specific android ones that I know of but I generally just pick up on them on sites like trustedreviews, engadget, slashgear, lifehacker and gizmodo as they usually mention anything good :)

Much appreciated list their Levi.
Just signed up to the mobileBurn RSS feed as that seems the best to me just so I can keep abreast of any Safari or Internet Explorer developments for either Windows desktop or for the Nokia.

Cheers again fella. :)

Back