Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CMS for a beginner

Discussion in 'Website Coding & Programming Forum:' started by bigdave, Feb 11, 2013.

1. bigdave

bigdave Moderator Staff Member

I've agreed to build a website for a friends business as part of the steep learning curve that is teaching myself to code. He want's to be able to update the site himself and add/change bits so the obvious solution is a CMS. I've dabbled with cushy in the past which is very straight forward but also quite limiting so probably not suitable for this, meaning it's learning time again! :icon_biggrin: Is there a good place to start learning how to build content management systems? Maybe an idiots guide or a method/system that would suit a beginner?

2. Corrosive

Corrosive Moderator Staff Member

Why build one Dave? There are loads of good ones out there to choose from.
  3. andybdesign

andybdesign Active Member

I would absolutely recommend Perch (Perch - The really little content management system (CMS)). If you know PHP then I think it's very easy.

It's cheap at £35 a site. Their customer support is brilliant (I've sent them loads of questions). The admin area for customers is really simple too which I think is often overlooked.

This site, which I recently created, uses it: Bann Valley Flies
  4. bigdave

Oooh.... Didn't realise its as simple as just buying a cms (I'd assumed there would have been a monthly subscription to stuff like that).
  5. bigdave

Ok, having done a bit of reading I now feel a bit stupid. Having never used the likes of Wordpress or Joomla, it didn't even occur to me that I should perhaps start there! :icon_blushing:

Hey ho, you learn something new every day! lol
  6. spottypenguin

spottypenguin Active Member

I don't know it so I'm not knocking it but that looks like a convoluted version of Wordpress and looks like you need a fair bit of coding knowledge behind you.
  7. Edge

Edge Active Member

And out of those two you should find WordPress easier so long as you remember it started off life as blog software. However you will still have a fair bit of learning to do.
  8. bigdave

That's fine, I like learning. :)