Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clean and minimal fonts

Discussion in 'Font Forum:' started by zacthorne, Mar 17, 2009.

1. zacthorne

zacthorne Junior Member

Hi Guys,

Can anyone recommend a clean and minimal sans serif font. I'm looking along the same lines as Helvetica Neue or Frutiger. I'm just looking for something a beyond the usual standard font.......any suggestions?

2. berry

berry Active Member

Futura, tho it does have a small X hight and therefore not good for body text
    Rotis is interesting
    Din is one of my favs so is Meta
    Bell and Franklin.
  3. zacthorne

zacthorne Junior Member

Cheers Berry,

I might re-visit Din, I haven't used it for years. I've just checked Meta and i'm liking it, will investigate further

4. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

I do like a bit of Din, any font with 3 weights is a good thing in my book!
  5. DereckJohnson

DereckJohnson Junior Member

Avant Garde, Gill Sans, Trade Gothic anyone?
  6. berry

berry Active Member

while san serif fonts...not similar to Helvetica or Franklin.
    Avant Garde has a high x hight which makes the font size larger than normal and eats up body text. Gill is the opposite, small x hight and not good for body text. Trade Gothic is one of my most used fonts and i love it, but it works best in the condendsed version which has legibilty issues.
  7. DereckJohnson

DereckJohnson Junior Member

Berry, point's well made regarding the x height etc. but still good alternatives - depending how much copy you have to play with.
  8. electricalyce

electricalyce Member

Soho gothic is nice, clean and distinct. Maybe a bit too distinct for body, not shure. And I really disagree about Gill Sans not fit for body - it's nice, friendly and readable, after all, typography is about feeling of the characters too, not just the mathematics of what has the EXACT perfect x-height and the PRECISE stem-width etc. Although on the other hand, Gill doesn't belong here, as I wouldn't describe it with "clean and minimal". I think avant garde works well too, although it takes more work to function as body-text (larger type and more space - for good use as body check out Grafik magazine)
  9. rossnorthernunion

rossnorthernunion Senior Member

Love a bit of DIN.

Interstate, Interface, Trade.
  10. I used to really love Frutiger too and Din a few times :)
  11. Harry

Harry Senior Member

Neo Sans
  12. *sigh* Fonts are sooo expensive!
  13. Dazzer21

Dazzer21 Member

Blimey - I'm going to sound like a bit of a one-trick-pony! This is only my second post and I've just put this in my first one!!! Avenir is a nice clean face and I mainly used Book as the body copy weight. My apologies for the repetition... 8)
  14. repetition is fine Dazzer :) as long as its a worthwhile point :) Welcome to the forum by the way :D
  15. twiggy8520

twiggy8520 Senior Member

Why not give Akidenz Grotesk a bash? or maybe Bell Gothic
  16. MadysonDesigns

MadysonDesigns Junior Member

One of my favorites to use is Avenir- nice and simple sans with a little more character.
  17. Silver Firefly

Silver Firefly Senior Member

Chalet - but it's not good for body text.

Helvetica/Helvetica Neue and Myriad Pro is my favourite at the moment.
  18. andyshaw

andyshaw Member