charging for the restyling of a wordpress template

philjohns

Hi all,

throw some figures at me - I know your all gunna tell me to do it by working out my hourly rate and charging "hourly rate x predicted hours" but Im interested in knowing the kind of figures you guys would charge.

Basically taking a wordpress template that is already in use on the clients website and changing background image, slight layout changes and all colours styles of buttons and links etc. Also needs css changes to wp-ecommerce template to fit in with new style that has been requested.

Difficult for you to just throw figures at me without knowing more - but anyone wanna give me a ball park figure?

well it's not like we can give a definitive answer so I thought, yeah lets undo the top button and post a silly/funny response instead :)

Phil, you may as well have asked, what's your hourly rate for basic web development work?
To which my reply would have been, the average would be in the £25/hr range I would think, but would vary greatly dependant on experience. If I was working on it I would probably give a set price based on the full details, a good starting point is to ask the client if they have a budget in mind :)

I know this is an old post, but I thought I'd put in my my 2 pence.

My hourly rate is £50, but for basic updates like that I'd run £250 to £500, depending on the complexity. If it's a straight job that only took me an hour then £250.

It also depends on the client. I have large clients who don't blink at the £250 number, and smaller clients who'd gag on it. So it also depends on the means of the client.

A.

Greg said:
Phil, you may as well have asked, what's your hourly rate for basic web development work?
To which my reply would have been, the average would be in the £25/hr range I would think, but would vary greatly dependant on experience. If I was working on it I would probably give a set price based on the full details, a good starting point is to ask the client if they have a budget in mind :)

Is asking the client if they had a budget in mind a good tactic?

Genuine question. I've read that before somewhere and, on the one hand, I can imagine it would be useful to see if you're on the same wavelength and make the any negotiation feel a little more comfortable I guess but, on the other, if it were roles reversed I'd possibly see that as a case of, whatever I say my budget is they'll pretty much charge as much as it will allow?

Back