Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Career change... kind of.

Discussion in 'Design Jobs & Employment Forum:' started by ARRIVALS, Sep 26, 2012.

ARRIVALS Well-Known Member

Hi all, I'm looking for a bit of advice.

I've been freelancing since graduating from university 3 years ago. Luckily I've managed to get solid work constantly for those 3 years. It's mainly logo design and brand identity that I do, with a bit of design print and web design as well. I just happen to enjoy it more than anything else.

Recently I've been doing a lot of iPad and mobile user interface design and I'm loving it. As some of you may know, I don't possess knowledge of html etc, so my designs are usually handed over to developers to be built. I've got no problem with that, I think I'd find that side of things pretty boring.

My question is, if I wanted to continue with this side of design full time and started hunting for jobs in this area, would I need to be a 'developer' aswell? Or is there a chance I could get employed as just the designer of this sort of thing?

2. chris_17

chris_17 Member

You could just be a user interface designer or a user experience designer, maybe some knowledge of HTML and CSS mockups would be useful. Try and find some where to join as a junior UI designer, at Uni I worked with a couple of UI designers who studied HCI at masters and they said that helped them a lot in terms of user research etc. so that may be another option. But I'd just go and talk to a agency or start-up and see how that goes
  3. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member

I've not investigated it properly but I understand that the latest version of QX incorporates design-view tablet publishing (with hints that phone optimisation will follow), and - if it hasn't already - I'd expect ID to get on board with this in the near future. If code's not your bag, I'd either a) look into people's experience of the first Quark release, and/or b) sit it out while Adobe catch up.