Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Capital Expenditure Question

Discussion in 'General Business Forum:' started by Krey20, Jan 12, 2009.

  1. Krey20

    Krey20 Senior Member

    Hi all, I wondered if you could help me with something.

    I'm looking to buy myself a nice, shiny new mac, which is always an exciting time, but it's the first time I've made a large purchase like this while having to keep the taxman in mind.

    I believe I would have to write it off as a capital expenditure and spread the expense over the life of the computer.
    Then I have to take in mind that it probably won't be used exclusively for business purposes.
    So this is how I would go about it, in my tax returns. Please point out any nonsense and faults in my reasoning.

    So I buy the mac. Then I have to decide on the percentage of its use, probably 70%-30% or 80%-20% splits between business and personal.

    Then I take that 70% or 80% sum of money as my starting point as the cost that I can put back into the books.

    According to my research I have to work out a working life of the product, so I think it's fair to say I don't expect it to last much more than 3 years before I need to spend more money in some way.

    In the first year I can put 40% of the eligible amount through the books and then split the remaining 60% over the next two years as 30% blocks.

    Hopefully I've understood this properly, but I thought I'd ask. Any help is appreciated.
     
  2. blueocto

    blueocto Senior Member

    I just declared mine as expenses, as i bought it before starting up and it was gonigi to be used for personal use as well.
    Whether that is correct, god nars!
     

Share This Page