Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Business Cards - does thickness matter?

Discussion in 'Printing & Print Design Forum:' started by Davidw, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Davidw

Davidw Member

Hello all

Just wondered what you designers feel is an acceptable thickness for your own business cards?

How important is the thickness of your miniature works of art?

- David

2. Well a general rule of thumb is the thicker the better, but it all depends on the design you are doing.

3. Adam

Adam Senior Member

I personally dont like anything less than 400Gsm

4. Davidw

Davidw Member

Do you think 400g is sufficient ?

If the card is to be foil printed onto an uncoated stock - would you choose 400g, 540g or 700g ?

5. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

They say size doesn't matter, it's how you use it, but general consensus is the thicker the better apparently.

Oops, wrong forum. :p

6. Davidw

Davidw Member

Thanks for your replies - I decided to opt for 540gsm black Colorplan for this little project, which I've now managed to get finished for my friend Carlos. I've seen some people specify 700gsm, but in my opinion that's just a bit too thick.

I've printed these using a number of different foil colours, and I've yet to decide on the best combination: any opinions welcome!

Mark at ultimatebusinesscards.co.uk suggested someone (amateur) who might want to do the artwork for the guitar (very kindly for free), and although it's perhaps not as good as it could be, I'm quite happy with it. Although if I ever manage to get a caricature of Carlos I'll do a re-print.

Attached Files: