Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Books on the design process?

Discussion in 'Graphic Design Forum:' started by garywaiman, Oct 21, 2011.

1. garywaiman

garywaiman Member

Hey guys

I would appreciate any recommendations that anyone may have for a good (preferably up to date) book on the design process. A lot of books which I am finding at the moment are more geared towards a portfolio-style, whereas I would like to find one which takes me through the thinking processes in approaching a brief.

Thank you in advance. :icon_notworthy:

2. Katy Blackham

Katy Blackham New Member

Here are a few I have found useful:

Visual Research
    Ian Noble and Russell Bestley- An Introduction to research methodologies in Graphic Design

Creativity for Graphic Design
    Mark Oldach - A real-world guide to idea generation

Size Matters
    Lakshmi Bhaskaran - Effective graphic design for large amounts of information

How to be a graphic designer without losing your soul
    Adrian Shaughnessy - Everything from being freelance to creative process

Type and Typography
    Phil Baines & Andrew Haslam - Everything from the history to structure, form and language

Best thing is to head to a book shop and have a read of what they offer and see what interests you.

Katy

3. Katy Blackham

Katy Blackham New Member

Also if your interested in thinking processes try:

How to have creative ideas
    Edward de Bono - I am a big fan of de Bono and this book is based on random words. It has some brilliant methods to provoke creative/lateral thinkin,g which you can apply to initial idea generation, and can help get you thinking outside of your usual processes.

Katy

4. garywaiman

garywaiman Member

Thank you Katy :)

5. sttcmghtf

sttcmghtf Member