Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Book recommendations for Christmas

Discussion in 'Graphic Design Forum:' started by Steven Hughes, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Steven Hughes

Steven Hughes New Member

Anyone got any good GD based books recently that would be worth requesting for Crimbo presents.

Books I've had before are los logos 4, smile in the mind, problem solved, logo

Anything along those kinda lines.
  2. Tony Hardy

Tony Hardy Well-Known Member

I got the book all about Penguin Book Covers last Christmas, it's fantastic.

Also, try Logo Design Love by David Airey, not read it, but really fancy it.
  3. Steven Hughes

Steven Hughes New Member

Funnily enough I have that - But not ready yet. Well had a skim through on holiday. Due to the book layout, I imagine it would be a quick book to read
  4. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

5 recommended graphic design books for design students

It's aimed more at students/beginners but some of them may be of interest to you.

I've personally just discovered Forms, Folds, Sizes in the library at uni. It's a collection of paper sizes, abbreviations, printing methods, glossary of terms, and a hell of a lot more I've not discovered yet.

It's definitely on my list.
  5. Minuteman Press

Minuteman Press Moderator

A book that would sit really nicely next to all those graphic design books, would be a book concerning how to write world class marketing plans.

This one looks good... The Sound of Storensay.

The authors are really cool, smashing, lovely etc. And don't even think about buying a second hand copy!
  6. daytona

daytona Member

7. Corrosive

Corrosive Moderator Staff Member

Can I get that on Kindle?
  8. bigdave

bigdave Moderator Staff Member

I really enjoy the D&AD annuals, especially the older editions which are hard to come by.

ARRIVALS Well-Known Member

I think we can agree there are thousands of books out there worth having on our shelves. I'd recommend signing up to a monthly magazine. IgN is brilliant.
  10. Catrin

Catrin New Member

11. tompop

tompop New Member

How to be a graphic designer without losing your soul by Adrian Shaughnessy. It's a very practical choice but full of little gems of advice and anecdotes. Also I've just ordered The Modernist which looks rather badass.