• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Bigger or smaller active area? Wacom Graphics Tablet

Hi All

I've been reading quite a few threads on here re graphics tablets but I still have one question please. By far most people prefer Wacom, however I have a rather small budget so I can only afford the Wacom New Intuos Pen and Touch Small (Size H210, W170, D10mm) That seems quite small so I'm wondering if I might struggle using it for example using the pen tool making curves where I might need a bigger surface (I am still fairly novice!) Do I rather save up for a the medium with a bigger active area or go for a different brand that might be just as good? Or will the small one be fine? Any opinions would be much appreciated!

Wardy

If you are on a budget and it will be your first, I believe the Bamboo would be the best way to go. I hear they are excellent for the price, and know of professionals who use them.

I use an old Intuos Medium which gives an A5 working area, which is ample for me. I would find the Small too small, as I presume the working area is only A6.

Paul Murray

Staff member
A smaller surface shouldn't be too much of a problem as you can just zoom in on anchor points. I personally feel a better surface area makes for a better experience, but needs and budget should be the deciding factor.

For reference, I use this tablet – Wacom Bamboo Fun Small Graphics Tablet: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

It's a decent size, but a little on the expensive end for an entry model. I've used smaller, cheaper tablets in the past and found this one to be a much more comfortable experience.

Thank you so much for all the replies. I am a bit confused about the Bamboo. I saw a YouTube video where the person said that the Bamboo was replaced by the Wacom Intuos. Is that true? If so I assume they are more or less the same but just re branded?

They are different models of the same brand, Wacom. There is Bamboo, Intuos, Cintiq. There might be other models, I'm not sure.