Best Sites of 2008

Toon

Yeah, I know it's a bit early to be making these kind of lists but towards the end of 2007 most sites that were flooding through my RSS feeds from CSS galleries all began to look the same, like they were being made by a factory of robots!

So I've been very pleased at some of the sites that have been brought to my attention at the start of 2008. So I thought I'd do a list of my 5 favorite sites of 2008 so far. (In no particular order).

Shiflett.org
As the blog explain Chris Shiflett is an author and speaker who leads the web application security practice at OmniTI. Although I find the site design very techy it was done in a very clean and structured way, the tones are very subtle and it is also a very good read.

Ifohdesigns.com
Is the site and blog of Matt Rossi a Graphic Design & Web Design from Providence, Rhode Island and also a new member at the Graphic Design Forum. I was drawn to the site instantly the first time I saw it. Although it's very smart and structured there's also quite a playful soft element to it which is the sort of image I think designers should be giving off to potential clients. His tagline in the footer states 'I enjoy valid, neat' and that's exactly what it is, neat and accessible.

Netnova.com.au
Netnova is a web development and SEO company based in Sydney. The design itself summed up exactly what I was try to do with my Logo Design UK site which was to keep the wording to a minimum and to just use segments of info to lead the user to the work which would take center stage. Again I love the solid and bold header with the softer pastel colour for the content, it's easy on the eye and very readable.

Clearfocusdesigns.com
Clear Focus Designs is a web design agency based in Missoula, Montana, what struck me first was the nice bright image in the header, whereas most sites in this list have chosen to keep things very simple graphically, Clear Focus Designs have chosen I guess to show a little flair with a nice crisp, bright image in their header which I feel draws you in to know exactly what they do. I'm a big fan of the footer build, I like the idea that you don't have to search to get in touch with them, it's all there and very accessible.

Simplebits.com
Simplebits was a clear choice, they are a well known web design studio founded by designer and author Dan Cederholm based in Salem, Massachusetts. The design itself is simplicity at it's best it only give you what is really required to see what the site is all about and the typography is great. The sections are clearly laid out to maximum effect and I can't wait until the shop opens to see the sort of t-shirts that go on sale.

Any thoughts on the above list is more than welcome, these are all sites that were built in 2008 just ones that have been brought to my attention since the start of the year.

Back