I agree with the idea that the goal makes the avatar. I also believe that if you have an online portfolio because your objective is being hired by an agency, using an actual picture of you could be more beneficial than showing a logo. At the same time, if you are trying to get people familiar with your brand, a logo generally sticks in mind much better than a photograph. If you are an illustrator, a cartoony version of yourself is an excellent way to show one more portfolio piece.

Sean Lee-Amies said:
I imagined you in some sort of wizards cape and staff sort of get up, a little bit like Gandalf perhaps.
that's only for special occasions

At the end of the day, if you're a sole trader your face is part of your brand and not just your face, as Levi noted your clothes or really any aspect of the way you chose to present yourself is all part of that brand, so if you think a logo is better suited to your operation then that's fine. Either way, it might not be the right decision but that decision is one of many we have to make about our brand.

Sean Lee-Amies said:
Of course your appearance bare no real indication on how well you can do your job, but people like reassurance and a smart, clean appearance does just that. Take a look at these two, both using the exact same style of photography for themselves, there must be a reason why these two hugely successful designers have done that.
http://www.spoongraphics.co.uk/about.html
http://justcreative.com/about/
Yeah, those are the exact two people why I decided to actually use a photo rather than keep a logo a year or two ago. It will definitely need to change to something more 'appropriate' - but all of that will all be done when I get round to a nice site/re-brand. For now (seeing as i'm hardly freelancing) i'll keep to this "questionable youth, ie might be a bit of a trouble maker" ;)

joshuadavis1.jpg

Extra from The Fast and the Furious or American designer, technologist, author and artist in new media?

People like to put people in boxes so it's easy and convenient to understand them and work them out. Isn't it more important that you just be your self rather than fitting into the cultural norm?

I'd have gone with a tattooist.... kind of has that vibe based on that image, I would never have gone for fast and the furious extra, I don't really remember tattoo's being that much of a thing really in the series

balders said:
What makes you tattooist?
the ability to draw, use tattoo equipment etc :p

If you mean the picture - the neck tattoo (most good tattooists would advise against this due to 'work' etc), the sleeve and the vest, it's very much a west coast tattooist kind of style to me at least

You've started me getting self-conscious now about the photo I use on my social sites!
I think the difference is about quality and looking professional. I only use that one because it was done by my best mate who happens to be
a professional photographer. Same with illustrated ones, they only work if done to a decent standard.

Wardy said:
You've started me getting self-conscious now about the photo I use on my social sites!

Are you saying that your current avatar isn't actually you?!

Back