are the W3 schools exams worth it?

bigdave

Seems as I'm enjoying learning code etc... I thought that perhaps it might be worth directing my efforts into gaining a recognised qualification (I don't think that's the right word but I'm not sure what is) that states that I have achieved a certain level of ability in the subject. Something that caught my eye whist reading through tutorials was the W3Schools website offers 'exams' in HTML and CSS (amongst other things) for about £60 each and I wondered if this was a good route to take? Is the resulting certificate of any real world value? For example if I applied for a job involving web design would having a W3 Schools certificate stand me in good stead?

Seems as I'm enjoying learning code etc... I thought that perhaps it might be worth directing my efforts into gaining a recognised qualification (I don't think that's the right word but I'm not sure what is) that states that I have achieved a certain level of ability in the subject. Something that caught my eye whist reading through tutorials was the W3Schools website offers 'exams' in HTML and CSS (amongst other things) for about £60 each and I wondered if this was a good route to take? Is the resulting certificate of any real world value? For example if I applied for a job involving web design would having a W3 Schools certificate stand me in good stead?

NO! Please don't do it, they have nothing to do with the W3C and everything on their site is a load of bollocks. Check out W3Fools

I know I don't 'need' them but just saying I can do it doesn't seem to be enough & I don't have the finances (or time) to start hosting self initiated projects.

I was looking at doing the online CIW courses through the University of the West of Scotland, but have shelved it for the mo due to financial issues (i'm ber-oke!!). The uni's got a good reputation, but I don't know about those courses in particular. A web developer friend looked at the course content & thought they looked pretty good, but whether they're as good in reality as on paper............?

If you give them a go, post what you think of them here, I'd be very interested to get your opinion.

Good luck!

Back