Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Wireless Mouse

Discussion in 'Apple Forum:' started by hankscorpio, Aug 8, 2016.

1. hankscorpio

hankscorpio Moderator Staff Member

Got a new iMac that came with a fancy new mouse, wireless.

However, the battery gets low about every 2 weeks. That's no problem. But the new mouse has a connection underneath for the cable. And once plugged in it's useless and doesn't work, and can't work due to it's design as it's plugged in underneath.

That's ok - although a stupid design.

My main gripe is - and perhaps someone knows how - I only get a warning when it's at 2%.

Can I change this to warn me when it's at 10% or 20% or anything else other than it's nearly dead?

2. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

quick google suggests you can use apple script....

I know how you feel about warnings for mice/keyboard, MS is just as bad, I get a warning pretty much just 'as it runs out'....

3. @GCarlD

@GCarlD Well-Known Member

First of all congrats on your new iMac! It's a nice view from up here isn't it? :p

Secondly, no way should your mouse be getting low every two weeks!?! Did you get the standard wireless Bluetooth mouse that comes with most iMacs, that require a couple of AA batteries? If so, I've got in the habit of turning off my mouse every night but even if I leave it on 24/7 (like I used to) it still lasts way beyond 2 weeks. I'm guessing Apple may have a new mouse that I'm not aware of due to your cable connection description.

As for the %, I believe I get a warning once it gets below 20%, I haven't come across a way to change when you receive that warning but at 2%, that is not much of a warning.

4. hankscorpio

Ugh ... apple script ... I'm not confident on me using that correctly.

Yes, this mouse takes no batteries.

It's a stupid design that it cannot be used when plugged in.

5. @GCarlD

That is silly, I'd complain and request an exchange

6. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

First thing I did when I got my iMac was bin the Magic Mouse and plugged in a cheapo Microsoft USB one. I don't have a fix for you, just came here to express my hatred for Apple mice.

7. @GCarlD

^ Interesting, I can't stand cable connections when they're not necessary, the less cables the better imo. The only thing I have connected via a cable is my Infinity as you can't beat a cable (ethernet) connection for internet speeds. Oh and obviously my iMac is plugged into the mains via it's cable :D

8. hankscorpio

Yes, much prefer a technical mouse, tactile with actual buttons and a wheel, buttons loaded on the side for going forward and back.

I might just get one.

9. Paul Murray

My main issue was the battery life and the lack of control/precision I felt I had with the touch mouse. I prefer buttons, I was constantly swiping left and right or zooming in and out because of that horrible glass surface.

hankscorpio likes this.
  10. hankscorpio

Sidenote - I have a Razer mouse that I use for my PC that I love. It's wireless and I haven't had to replace the batteries yet, and it's been about a year since I got it.

11. Paul Murray

I actually use a gaming mouse. It's corded, but mainly because I also use it on my PC for gaming. Don't want to be replacing batteries when you should be doing something else!

12. @GCarlD

Ah ok. I find with everyday use, the batteries in my mouse lasts for around a couple months. That's 100+ hours a week of it being on. Although I do buy Duracell...

Saying that, if you have / use a tablet, then you don't need a mouse at all!

13. SC Creative

SC Creative New Member

Decent quality rechargables are the way to go, I get around 4 weeks of 8 hours a day use for a pair if Duracell rechargables (2,400mAh)

@GCarlD likes this.
  14. hankscorpio

It doesn't take batteries, well it has batteries, but they are not accessible.

15. Mr Geek

Mr Geek New Member

yeah the new magic mouse design is stupid. Who decided to use the lighting charger then place it under the unit? The recon it takes 2 hours to charge to full and should last 2 month. Also 2 mins charge should last the day....... i don't believe them lol so i'll stick with the older on that uses AA batteries lol

@GCarlD likes this.