• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Animating in Flash

Greets,

I'm trying to animate something in Flash, which I've never used. I'm very comfortable with After Effects though, so thought it would be an easy transition.

I literally just want to rotate a graphic (imported from Illustrator) in Z space over a five frame period, in a 25fps composition.

Can anyone tell me how to do this, or point me to a good tutorial I don't have to pay for?

Thanks in advance.

Wolf

There is no z-rotation facility built in to Flash, although the very latest CS4 does have something similar. There are paid-for 3rd party applications to do things like that with older Flash versions. Google Flash and 3D, I suggest.

Wolf

Kind of, it's the de facto standard at the moment for advanced 3D in Flash.

But it's a programming framework first and foremost, not really comparable to any 3D renderer or AE. There is a component for the Flash application which gives you basic visual tools, but it's meant to be used to code.

Purplegurl

if you want something very very simple to design flash animations try SwishMax its not the greatest of flash tools but it is very easy to learn ... myself I prefer Adobe Flash

For 3D work tho I use either 3dsMAX or Maya

That's the problem though, all I need to do is rotate something in Z space. I know my way around After Effects which let's me do this very easily, but it would seem I can't do it in Flash.

The AE movie I've done aint gonna cut it cos you can't export the animation as vector files, it bitmaps everything. But I need a nice clean edged animation for my folio/reel website.

My programmer reckons he can sort it, but I'd like to learn it myself without upgrading to Flash CS4. Unfortunately Papervision3D looks to be very code heavy which I know I'm going to struggle with.

That's my point. I can do the animation easily enough (it's actually a 2D graphic rotating in 3D space). But I need it as a vector output, not bitmapped, as it needs to be part of a website, namely a button, not a movie file hosted on a website.

Yeah, that's almost it! But there's no perspective in that animation, it just scales down on the X axis and scales up again with the image flipped, I've worked out how to do this.

Ideally I'd like this to have a realistic perspective so that the side that rotates towards your POV gets larger and the other side gets smaller as it rotates away from you.