Am I allowed to use well known logos on my website?

@GCarlD

Hi everyone,

I've always avoided doing this as I am just not sure of the answer but you guys may be able to advise me. I have seen people place well-known worldwide brands on their site to show off who they have worked for, for example, or for purposes of a blog. Am I allowed to grab a logo off the internet and use it (small) on my website for similar reasons? Or do I need to e-mail and ask the corporation's permission first? If so, would they even bother to respond to such a request?

Thoughts?

If you've worked for them, I don't see why it's an issue. You could ask permission but if it's a large company their brand team will probably say no or want to approve any usage of the logo (you don't ever want to have to speak to someone from "brand"). You can always feign ignorance and just take any logos down if requested.

Get a testimonial from them and have a testimonials page.

That way you can show off their logo on your site, then have a page explaining what work you did for them, and a testimonial from the CEO or whoever speaks volumes.

I was actually thinking of getting rid of my Testimonials section, I just think testimonials, in general, are a bit artificial and I don't think anyone really cares to read about how perfect your business is made to sound by it's over positive, glowing testimonials.

What I intend doing is having something similar to an 'Our Clients' section, where you have the logos of your client's businesses.

I was actually thinking of getting rid of my Testimonials section, I just think testimonials, in general, are a bit artificial and I don't think anyone really cares to read about how perfect your business is made to sound by it's over positive, glowing testimonials.

I tend to agree, though it depends on who the testimonial is from and what your business does. A testimonial from a customer who is essentially an anonymous nobody is probably not going to swing anyone in your favour, but a testimonial from someone who's respected in your field is another thing (think about quotes from other respected authors on the backs of books).

It might be worthwhile adding a small quote on project pages in portfolio items, a little like Hank suggested.

Back