Alternatives to blurb?

PrintME

Can anyone recommend any sites apart from blurb that can offer a one off printing service for a magazine?

A local printer with a small perfect binding machine...sadly I don't know anyone who has one (I used to be able to do it - but that's not much help!).

You could get it digitally printed and 'perfect bind' it yourself into the cover using pva. That would be the cheapest. It wouldn't stand up to a huge amount of handling but if you scored the back edge before gluing it might work. You would have to get it guillotined afterwards. Actually I could do all that for you!!

lulu.com or others - there's plenty out there.

What's the issue with using Blurb?

Are you using local printers regularly? Often, if you're using printers regularly they can do you a favour with a 1 off print of something, they usually just put it in with a small print job of similar size and finishing.

lulu.com or others - there's plenty out there.

What's the issue with using Blurb?

Are you using local printers regularly? Often, if you're using printers regularly they can do you a favour with a 1 off print of something, they usually just put it in with a small print job of similar size and finishing.

My only gripe with blurb was a book I did the type was about 1mm from the edge even though i left plenty of space. Anyways it was no big issue as it was just a test. Just wanted to what the alternatives where, also not used local printers much due to clients wanting to use there own etc.

Any time I use online photo book makers there usually is an error in the printing, i.e., too close to the edge etc.

Usually I just email them and request it reprinted as it's in error. And usually get them for free of cost, as you should.

Have you contacted blurb about your error? Request a reprint without the error.

I've used both Blurb and CreateSpace (or rather my clients have) and both times was a nightmare thanks to the automated nature of print on demand. CreateSpace was the better of the two, and the print wasn't bad (though this was a black and white novel, not a magazine) but still not exactly a pleasant experience when you're used to working with competent printers.

Back