Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternative to Apple Display???

Discussion in 'General Software & Hardware Forum:' started by stablecreative, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Currently have a 24" Apple display that as many of you know plugs seamlessly into the MacBook Pro, the power the minidisplayport and USB enabling a simple MacBook to monitor setup...

However I'm looking potentially at having another setup away from the main office and wondered if there was a alternative to using apple displays, is it worth sticking apple or can I buy a 24/27" monitor and connect up and run just as easy?

If so what should I look out for? What is the best adapter to use generic monitor with a mbp? Any brands or specific monitors work well as secondary mac monitors?

Thanks

2. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

Get an IPS panel display (personally I use dell displays) and ensure it has a display port as a connection so you can use a mini to full size displayport cable.
    Note there are 2 types of IPS panel, one is slightly cheaper and doesn't have as much colour range, is 6/8 bit not 8/10bit, etc, you'll find the cheaper one in sub £300 monitors usually and anything higher is 'usually' the better panel.

Also make sure it's been calibrated by the company and they send you a panel colour profile etc, although I'd still say use something like a spyder pro for colour accuracy etc