Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed on design software for a novice

Discussion in 'General Software & Hardware Forum:' started by Rhiellie, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Rhiellie

Rhiellie New Member

Hi
    I need some advice on which software package I should get, I am a novice with designing so I don't want anything that will melt my brain.
    All I really need it for is to design high quality patterns for printing, basically I am expanding my wedding services business to include stationery & I want to design floral type patterns & be able to move them about, ie I may have a line of flowers that I want in a horozontal position or vertical, I would need to have the facility to include wording over them if needed.
    I think what I need is quiet simple but I don't want to spend a fortune on something over technical.
    I have looked at Adobe (the creative package suite is expensive!) but have some experience with Xara & wondered if any of these are any good?

Many thanks

2. sthomas

sthomas Member

Hi,

Even though Adobe's Creative Suite would be my first choice, it can be a steep learning curve.

However there's a Photoshop alternative called Gimp GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program which is free and would probably suit your needs fine.

Cheers

Scott

3. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

Inkscape. Draw Freely.

Vector software, so you can scale your designs up as large as you want without losing quality. It's free too!