8 days website, comments :)

sabo86

Dear Friends,
I am posting here a new version of saboline.com (actually the 3rd version).

The website is a dynamic website with static number of pages, designed using photoshop, then converted to

vectors using Adobe Flash, and the developed dynamically using Actionscript 2.0 & PHP.

This website reads from database to fill the contents of each page.
It took us only 8 working days to come up with this output.

your comments are highly appreciated.
Best Regards

Saboline Productions' Team

First of all welcome to the forums.

The website looks very good for a 8 day turn around however when the text is moving in the background it looks pretty distracting!

Usability and Accessability seems to be good.

its flash, I hate flash sites, having said that the idea is pretty good design wise (ie the cross), I'm just curious as to if it could have been done in a similar way using something other than flash.

I'm also going to be a little bit more suspicious than some might be, it does seem like a bit of an advert rather than a critique to me too, saying it took 8 days etc but I'll see if theres any reply to these messages.

First question: Do you have a non-flash version?

Also, there are some usability issues I came across straight away:

I start at home and click portfolio. To get back from portfolio to home I'm looking for a home link. All I see is zoom out, but I never zoomed in so this doesn't tell me what it'll do. Always have a clear link to the home page.

Also, the code in the page is terrible. No DTD and built with tables… why?!

The navigation indeed isn't as obvious as it might seem... Also some really bad text rendering there. Other than that this is a decent site, although you could pull it off in HTML too.

First of all welcome to the forums.

The website looks very good for a 8 day turn around however when the text is moving in the background it looks pretty distracting!

Usability and Accessability seems to be good.

Thanks you :)

its flash, I hate flash sites, having said that the idea is pretty good design wise (ie the cross), I'm just curious as to if it could have been done in a similar way using something other than flash.

I'm also going to be a little bit more suspicious than some might be, it does seem like a bit of an advert rather than a critique to me too, saying it took 8 days etc but I'll see if theres any reply to these messages.

Levi, yap, you are right, flash sites are sometimes distracting . The first 2 versions of the website where pure html, css, php, & mySQL. We had to design a way that reflects our identity as graphic design services, thats why its flash. A similar way could be done using AJAX i guess,..
And actually this is not an advert because I am getting the most of critiques to work around it. Thanks alot..

First question: Do you have a non-flash version?

Also, there are some usability issues I came across straight away:

I start at home and click portfolio. To get back from portfolio to home I'm looking for a home link. All I see is zoom out, but I never zoomed in so this doesn't tell me what it'll do. Always have a clear link to the home page.

You get a great point, we will see what we can do around it :)

Nice looking site. and it loads very fast too, considering my pooor-ish connection at the office. It's lovelly, straight forward and dynamic. What could be done easier would e the navigation from one tab to the next and then home.As well the flash writing travelling in the back could be stoped once the website is accessed. At first try, this is about it. I like the website much and with a sharper navigation is brill. hope this helps :)

its flash, I hate flash sites
i agree.

unncessary. 5 years ago when people were discovering the novelty of the web, yah, sure, but now? get a snazzy one that all people can rely on quickly and easily.

got any users on mobile devices?
not any more.

got any partially sighted users?
not any more.

got any fellow designers?
not any more.

Back