Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8 colour printing

Discussion in 'Printing & Print Design Forum:' started by marmalade, May 18, 2009.

1. marmalade

marmalade New Member

Hello everyone,

I have a question about designing for print, I am trying to enter a design a competition and on the brief it says 'Use up to 8 colours maximum'. What does this mean? It doesn't literally mean 8 colours does it? I assume it is a colour setting. I am using Photoshop CS3, if someone could tell me how to set up a file with 8 colours, or point me to a guide I would be very grateful. I have done design for the web before but I haven't really got a clue about print design.

Thanks!

2. LovesPrint

LovesPrint Member

I'd take it to mean I can use CMYK and up to four PMS Colours with it. Or Eight PMS colours. You get the idea...:icon_smile:

So you are not particularly limited colour wise.

3. marmalade

marmalade New Member

Hi, thanks for replying, that clears up my problem!

4. Minuteman Press

Minuteman Press Moderator

Could also be CMYK double sided.

5. LovesPrint

LovesPrint Member

Good call MP

6. kallkwik

kallkwik New Member

It's a good questions and very ambiguous. I suspect Pete is correct as I've not yet come across a 8 colour process on one side. Now the other option is that they are talking about a large format machine as we have an 8 colour unit but that is just so that it gets a large colour gamut rather than 8 specific colours.

Alistair

7. Minuteman Press

Minuteman Press Moderator

Not 8 colour single side - 4/4. This is 8 colour print.