wordpress??

Hi
Im trying to download wordpress 3.1 for mac. But i really dont understand how to install/upload it, i tried to follow the read me but whenever i tried to open a file it opened up dreamweaver with nothing on it?? Very annoying!
Does anyone have step by step instructions?

many thanks

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do? Have you installed a php web server with SQL database on your Mac, so that you can then install wordpress?

Do you have a host yet for your site? If so, most of them have an automated Wordpress installer called Fantastico. If not, contact them and ask.

Paul

What they all said :icon_biggrin: - I uploaded Wordpress to my host and do my editing / building online as such. Most hosts have a widget for installing Wordpress

Al i want to do is have my own website. I don't understand dreamweaver and i was told wordpress is good for websites/blogging??

What is a host, and how do i go about getting one?

This thread should help>http://www.graphicdesignforums.co.uk/website-design-forum/5007-web-hosting-do-i-need-why.html

Followed by this one>http://www.graphicdesignforums.co.uk/general-business-forum/5641-reliable-web-email-host.html

A host will charge you £X per month or year to 'host' the code that IS your website. Hosts have automated installers for all of the popular content management systems such as Wordpress.

I recommend Web Hosting Services, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers by HostGator

Paul

You can't just 'make' a Wordpress site using Dreamweaver unless you know the templating system inside-out, as the template files are split up and rely on a lot of Wordpress specific code.

If you have Dreamweaver CS5 it has support for it but in earlier versions you would need to get a plugin like this one. Then you can use the Design view if you like to work that way.

The best thing to do is find an existing Wordpress theme you like the look of and modify that to suit you while you get a hang of how it all works before trying to make one from scratch.

However it does sound like you are unfamiliar with web designing in general - before going ahead, do a lot of reading, find some tutorials you can work with (CSS and HTML will form the bulk of what you need to know to begin and then you can get on to scripting after that :) )

Im trying to download wordpress 3.1 for mac...
Oh dear, you are in a muddle, aren't you? There is no such thing as WordPress for Mac, that I've heard of. There's WordPress for Linux and WordPress for Windows, which mean the operating systems that may be used by your hosting company's servers (Mac is not good for that purpose), not the one you have on your computer at home.
Does anyone have step by step instructions?
WordPress.org has and is the best place to start. But if you're getting yourself tied up in knots, you could do worse than start out with a (free) WordPress blog at WordPress.com, which I believe is pretty well hassle-free. You can always move it to your own domain name (laurajanedesigns.com or whatever) at a later stage. That is, if you're sure you want a blog, because blogging is really hard work in itself, I warn you, you need to be prepared to dedicate x hours a week to it on a regular, unwaivering basis, and if you don't want to do that, you might be better off with some kind of static site - most hosting companies have some kind of (easyish) "Site Builder" option (more straightforward for the uninitiated than Dreamweaver, at least).

I'd forget about Dreamweaver for now. Get familiar with configuring Wordpress via the administration panel (yoursite.com/wp-admin). See what you can configure from there and what it's limitations are. Install some free themes and see what effect that has on the site.

After that you could learn how to use Dreamweaver, but I'd recommend just learning HTML/CSS. Get a good FTP client like filezilla and experiment with changing CSS files in your WP installation to change the look of the site.

Al i want to do is have my own website. I don't understand dreamweaver and i was told wordpress is good for websites/blogging??

Hi, meant to say as well if you are going down the Wordpress route it's worthwhile signing up at elegantthemes.com ... unfortunately there is a 30-odd dollar joining fee but for that you get access to all the best themes and their support forum is excellent. My webdesign skills are negligible but I managed to cobble a basic site together in no time :icon_thumbup:

Word press is not a static wbsites (ie it does not have html pages that just sit there). Its a php coded framework, that creates pages you have "edited". So it needs to run on a machine that has apache webs erver running and also has php installed and also has a database installed.

Wordpress itself provides freee hosting - so do it there for now.

Hosting is where you rent a space on a machine on the internet. ie hosting typically provided has all those things - wordpress, database, php etc etc easy one click installs.

once your wordpress website is installed you can edit it in various ways.

you can install and template (look and feel theme), you can edit the template, and then you can add as many web pages and content and pictures and other useful plugins to the site.

i recently merged a wordpress site into an old website and the client uses the wordpress admin area to add blog posts and these then appear on his website.

Back