Wordpress development for sports site, can woo commerce handle the tasks?

Grant Smith

Hi!

So I am in the planning phase of a new wordpress site for a sports club. They have a list of requirements which I am looking into, i wondered if anyone here had any experience of similar features which they would like to share. Other then the standard pages, the club requires;

1. New membership sign up process
  2. Training calendar
  3. New membership communication process
  4. Events sign up
  5. Shop to pay for various items (events, membership etc..)
  6. Custom event email lists

I also have a couple of questions regarding the individual plug ins which I think could be an option for the above, these are woo commerce plug ins, however some of them seem to perform similar tasks, and hence may be over the top?:

WooCommerce Subscription
WooCommerce Subscriptions - WooThemes
The site only requires one subscription, the membership renewal, is this plug in overkill? What is the alternative.

WooCommerce Memberships
WooCommerce Memberships - WooThemes
Will this allow members with the right permissions to look up other members details? I essentially need a membership list to show members.

Newsletter Subscription
Newsletter Subscription - WooThemes
I'm not sure I need this, wouldn't WooCommerce Memberships have a similar feature to automatically sign up member's to newsletters?

Events calendar
https://theeventscalendar.com/product/wordpress-events-calendar-pro/
This looks like it will handle the events section of the site very well, any opinions on how good it is?

As for the rest, I thought the training calendar section could be run by google, alternatively it could just be a recurring event of the events calendar? Plus, Facebook could handle membership communications maybe? Although I like the idea of having a single email address a member can just email and that is pushed to all signed up members. But this seems way more complicated to implement then previously imagined.

I welcome other suggestions, thanks

Here are a few notes that might help without knowing the client specs, etc.

Memberships - WooCommerce Memberships is solid for the membership stuff, but you should also check out memberpress.com or Member Mouse. Both of those plugins are used by a ton of the top devs in WP and membership sites. This isn't really a WP solution, but Mind Body Online is a great platform for event/class bookings. I'm not sure if their solution would line up with your customers' type of "events".

Newsletter Subscriptions - I personally never use WP for newsletter subscriptions (list management / broadcasting). I always recommend a 3rd party "ESP" like Mail Chimp, Aweber, etc. You can sync the lists on those services with the WP user lists FYI.

Events Calendar - I haven't used Events Calendar before, but it's made by Modern Tribe, who I am familiar with and they make super solid plugins. From the "who made the plugin" part it's solid. If the plugin fits your clients' needs... that's another story.

FYI, I wrote this guest post a while back on "how to pick a plugin" that might be helpful. https://goo.REMOVEgl/dn76oa (added "REMOVE" to break the link so the mods don't think I'm an SEO spammer... ha).

Back