Win £350 for designing our new logo!!

stevemann

Here is an opportunity to win £350/$500, gain recognition, and potentially establish yourself as the long-term favoured creative/designer for a pair of businesses that are set to experience massive growth over 2010.

Voted ‘Recruitment Agency of the Year 2008’ in regional awards and shortlisted for ‘Marketing Recruitment Company of the Year 2009’ at national awards, Brand Recruitment has gone from strength to strength since its foundation. Throughout this time, Brand has always involved itself in the marketing community as a whole, having maintained close links with the Chartered Institute of Marketing that have seen co-hosted events as well as many other forms of ‘extra-curricular’ activities for the local marketing community.

Following in this trend, it is only natural that as we look to expand into the digital and creative sectors with our new business Brand Digital and Creative (BDC), we are keen to engage and involve the members of these communities in our development. So much so, that we are hoping that some of the more creative amongst you may be able to help us design the logo for BDC. The brief is quite simple, and is outlined below. We are open to ideas and concepts from all quarters and are also open to working with people across the globe.

Along with the opportunity of regular, paid work from our businesses, the winner of this competition will receive £350/$500, to be paid by bank transfer or Paypal. The new division’s website is Brand Digital and Creative Recruitment . Hopefully the winning logo will be visible on this site by the end of January.

THE BRIEF

- Brand Recruitment operates across Marketing, PR and Events. We are expanding into the Digital and Creative sectors, so we need a separate identity whilst retaining a clear visual link to our current branding. The logo for Brand Digital and Creative (BDC) needs to be clearly identifiable to Brand Recruitment’s current logo, yet sufficiently different to differentiate the two brands.
- We plan to rebrand within a year of launch, so any logo must be simplistic and open to development. Whilst we are primarily judging entries on the actual logo, any suggestions and supplementary material will also be considered.
- To gain an idea of the existing branding, please visit http://www.brandrecruitment.co.uk/about Whilst initial suggestions are welcome in any format, the winning logo must be able to be supplied in Indesign/Quark/ etc….

ALL QUERIES/ENTRIES MUST BE FORWARDED TO [email protected]

Last edited:
Ok, so let me get this right...

You want free ideas for your logo? In Indesign or Quark? And you don't have a proper email address? And you want to change it again in a year's time?

There are enough people on here with links to their sites that could do this job for you. Maybe you could choose one of them and pay them for it?

Not being funny but this is not the best way to 'expand into the creative sectors'.

Hi there - thanks for the midly sarcastic reply.

Yes, I could choose one of the many, many creatives offering their services on the internet, but as I am sure you will appreciate, it is a very competitive market and there are a lot of cowboys out there. For our side, we are not cowboys, we have won industry accolades for our work and on a personal note I look after a handful of successful businesses and have come to be able to do this by good, well-considered work, not by ripping people off or wasting time...

- If you read the post, entries do not have to be submitted in Quark or Indesign, only the winning entry.
- The Google mail email - quite simple, really, in that we don't want our main server clogged up with emails containing large attachments. We also don't want to miss a good entry because it gets held up in the firewall. On a separate note, I find this quite amusing coming from someone who doesn't have a street address or landline on their website!!! Just a mobile and an email..
- The URL of the new site has been displayed so any entrants would be able to see if their entries have been used without their consent.

I guess rather than looking for the negative aspects of this, you could maybe look to see the positives.

- The past year has seen a massive reduction in the amount of work out there - both permanent and freelance. No doubt there are an awful lot of people out there who will be glad of the work.
- Whoever wins has the potential to become the designer of choice for a set of businesses that spends a £five-figure amount on design every year.

It seems you are not an advocate of the competition - this is your choice. That said, dozens of people have entered and we have seen some great entries. Your business may be well set up and weathering the storm well - this is great for you and I wish you all the best for 2010. However, there are some people out there who are not as fortunate and I would hope you would see the merits in offering them an opportunity to earn £five-figures a year doing something for which they have a passion.

Again, all the best for 2010, and I hope you can take a look at this competition from a different angle.

http://www.brandrecruitment.co.uk

Last edited:
Ok, what I was getting at was this - if you're spending a '£five figure amount' on design each year, do you really think that a 'competition' is the best way to find the person to spend it with?

"- The past year has seen a massive reduction in the amount of work out there - both permanent and freelance. No doubt there are an awful lot of people out there who will be glad of the work."

So you thought you'd take advantage of that by asking people to do unpaid work in the hope they might get some more?

"- If you read the post, entries do not have to be submitted in Quark or Indesign, only the winning entry. "

I did read the post. My point was you don't do logos in either Quark or Indesign, they are page layout programmes. You do them in Illustrator. At a push, Photoshop.

There are two ways you could have done this - one would be a free for all competition on one of the many design competition websites. Not sure you'd get anything any good, but still.

The other, more usual way would be to research companies in your area with pedigree in this kind of work, call them, meet with them to see if they are what they say they are, then draw up a shortlist and run a competitive tender with maybe three who understand exactly where you're coming from and that you get on with. The problem with your 'free for all' approach is that most people who enter will be wasting their time and yours.

Sorry if I'm coming across as a bit abrasive, but there's a lot of this about at the moment and IMO all it does is to devalue design and make times even harder than they should be.

For an example of a nice way to do it, see here:

http://www.graphicdesignforums.co.u...type-web-designer-needed-immediate-start.html

Last edited:
Hi again - first things first - I'm not 'taking advantage' of anyone - if people want to enter, they can enter: no one is holding a gun to their head.

Okay - my mistake, but, again, the blurb does say entries can be submitted in any format, so anyone who is paranoid about us scrimping around and ripping them off for their £350 could submit it in a 'non-usable' format or with a watermark on it; which I think may have been your concern.

You are looking at this from a 'company' point of view. Who says we want a company? To be honest, I have had my fill of using agencies (some of whom work with big FTSE 100 companies, before aspersions are cast on them!) who will often take a long time to turn things around seeing as 'x has to see it before y sees it and y is out of the office' and where you seem to be paying for the dud over-priced art in the lobby and the Director's flash car. I am not knocking agencies per se, but for our purposes a savvy, skilled one (wo)man band could potentially do.

With regards to asking people to work for free, about 85% of the work we do here we do with no upfront payment - our resources in terms of ad spend and time are used up for no guaranteed revenue. The idea of asking people to put some time and effort in 'up front' isn't such a strange one - although maybe things are a little more comfortable in the world of creative agencies!! Perhaps some people deserve a living just for being there - in my line(s) of work you need to earn the money by putting the resources in.

Anyhow, what is the difference between giving individuals who are perhaps at any early stage of their career an opportunity to potentially gain work and recognition for the expense of some time and effort and doing a competitive tender between established agencies? Very little as I see it!! Are these agencies going to turn up with ideas alone? Surely they'd need to come with some ideas or examples of what they are suggesting?

Anyway, I have positive things to do to try and push my business forward and help people - myself included - make a decent living, so I will get on.

You have made some valid points here and flagged up some interesting facts, so thanks a lot for taking the time to point these out and, again, all the best for 2010. I hope it is a successful year for you.

Cheers,
Steve

Interesting points from both sides...but this is the competition section and the correct section to post this kind of request.

Hah that's me told. Fair enough Boss.

"You are looking at this from a 'company' point of view. Who says we want a company? To be honest, I have had my fill of using agencies (some of whom work with big FTSE 100 companies, before aspersions are cast on them!) who will often take a long time to turn things around seeing as 'x has to see it before y sees it and y is out of the office' and where you seem to be paying for the dud over-priced art in the lobby and the Director's flash car. I am not knocking agencies per se, but for our purposes a savvy, skilled one (wo)man band could potentially do. "

That bit I agree with. That's why I left agency life in the first place.

"Anyhow, what is the difference between giving individuals who are perhaps at any early stage of their career an opportunity to potentially gain work and recognition for the expense of some time and effort and doing a competitive tender between established agencies? Very little as I see it!! Are these agencies going to turn up with ideas alone? Surely they'd need to come with some ideas or examples of what they are suggesting?"

Yes, my point was really about forging a relationship - it's difficult enough to judge if anyones any good, but trying to do it without meeting them is near impossible.

"You have made some valid points here and flagged up some interesting facts, so thanks a lot for taking the time to point these out and, again, all the best for 2010. I hope it is a successful year for you."

You too, to be fair you've been nothing but polite and coherent in your replies. You'd be surprised how many people aren't. Cheers.

So, do I get the contract? ;)

Back