Why designers should design and photographers should click!

TheNoone

A while ago I did some work for a photographer and she was really happy with what I did for her.

She had recently been in contact saying she had designed her own business card, to my dismay!
On top of this she had paid a high amount to have them letter pressed. She emailed me for some
critique on them and i'm yet to reply. I feel like she should have contacted me prior to sending them
to press. The business cards themselves are to an O.K standard yet she should have hired a designer
wether it be me or someone else. I really don't think these will stand the test of time, and for over £300
a bit of a waste. Fair play for her for giving it a go, but people really should stick to what they do best Vice/Versa.

What are your opinions on this?

screenshot20110530at200.png

Tricky situation you're in mate, especially considering she paid to have them sent to print. I don't get why she asked your opinion AFTER she'd submitted them though?

I don't know what I'd do in this situation. Cut off all contact? Move house? Fake my own death???

They're not THAT bad, a bit cluttered but they've got all the info you'd want so I guess for the sake of argument they're ok. The logotype on the card doesn't seem to match the one on the website though?

I don't think they're that bad really, especially if they're being letterpressed - minimalist designs like this can look brilliant if the print quality is good, so if the letterpressing comes off then there's potential for them to come out quite well I'd say.

I'm not all that bothered, it just makes you realise that being a good designer isn't just having software skills and are able to align things correctly.

It's just a shame she didn't consult, she just wanted to save money designing it, it's a bit sad that I could of designed it and had it letter pressed for cheaper than the leterpress alone.

I'm not sure the slim type is going to look too good letter pressed though!
I'll try and get a sample when she get's them back from press!

Doesn't look to me like she has any need of a designer in this instance - she's done a very nice job.

Personally I think they're really boring but each to their own hey, they're not badly designed, but it is dead odd that she would ask your opinion after sending them to print. Weird. I'd be tempted to design her some and say "this is what I would have done" in a reply lol! Tempted, but wouldn't do it :icon_smile:

Toughy! What do you say? I'd at least mention that you could have done the design and print for cheaper :icon_wink:

I think that they are fine - not sure why she's having them letterpressed though! But each to thier own...

I think business cards represent you, and like linzi said they're boring, does she want to be represented as boring?

But why are they boring?

No offence, but your card is plain with a logo: http://img864.imageshack.us/img864/8683/dsc01345wjunc.jpg

Her card is also plain with a logo. As said, these minimalist styles can work with good printing, so I don't really see major differences between her cards and your ones.

Admittedly, I much prefer your logo which makes it feel a little less bare the principle is the same, surely?

But why are they boring?

No offence, but your card is plain with a logo: http://img864.imageshack.us/img864/8683/dsc01345wjunc.jpg

Her card is also plain with a logo. As said, these minimalist styles can work with good printing, so I don't really see major differences between her cards and your ones.

Admittedly, I much prefer your logo which makes it feel a little less bare the principle is the same, surely?

Fair point, but they type is handled a lot better and shows more style. I'm not slagging them off, just they could of been a lot better. There's a big different in minimalism and centred text through and through.

Fair point, but they type is handled a lot better and shows more style. I'm not slagging them off, just they could of been a lot better. There's a big different in minimalism and centred text through and through.

I agree and I do prefer yours by all means, so it isn't a criticism or anything, just that I think it shows the one from this thread could come out very well.

I think business cards represent you, and like linzi said they're boring, does she want to be represented as boring?

I'd say they show her in a good light: tasteful, restrained, professional, not overly concerned with injecting high levels of totally unnecessary trickery or 'excitement' into a simple business card (which is what they are when all's said and done: nobody ever lost out to a business rival on the basis of their business card not being interesting enough).

They give her details and contact numbers/website. They are clean, straightforward and easy to read. They do the job they have to do. She wants to wow them with her photos!

I think the cards are slightly plain.. and are not selling the photographer in any way. Ok it gives the info, but i think they should have "some" pizzaz

Back