Which software for these illustrations?

geo86

Hi,

I am new to this are and I wonder which is the best software to draw these kind of illustrations?
Is Adobe Illustrator the only option?

Thank you

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 9
Illustrator (or equivalent vector) is probably your best route, specially with the animal scenes, but you could easily use something like Photoshop too
and get the same result.

Thanks Ian! Do you do your illustrations with Illustrator? For example, Colin the Community Cop?

Just add to what Wardy has said; If you use illustrator or other vector software, you will be able to blow the images up as large as you like. If you use photoshop you will need to determine the final maximum size when you first set your illustration up. You can make pixel-based images smaller, but if you increase their side from the original they degrade.

I am guessing from the samples you have used, that you are looking to make something for your child’s bedroom wall. One other thing to consider is that with for this sized illustration, the file size would be fairly huge if you use photoshop. With illustrator, (et al), the file would be fairly small and be easier to work with, especially if you don’t have a particularly high-spec machine.

A good alternative to illustrator is Serif‘s Affinity Designer. Much cheaper too.

If this is just for a one-off project, the alternative, of course, is to go on to behance, find an illustrator with a similar style and employ them to do it. It may be cheaper and easier in the long run if you factor in the time it will take you to learn. It will be a fairly steep curve if you’ve never done it before. There’s this illustrator called Wardy…

Just add to what Wardy has said; If you use illustrator or other vector software, you will be able to blow the images up as large as you like. If you use photoshop you will need to determine the final maximum size when you first set your illustration up. You can make pixel-based images smaller, but if you increase their side from the original they degrade.

Not entirely accurate - you can use Vector Shapes, Vector Masks and Text layers in photoshop and retain output of the vectors - especially saving it as Photoshop PDF - or printing directly from the PSD via Photoshop.

Most of my work is a combination of hand-drawn and Photoshop. If it's for wallpapers I would definitely use a vector app.

Ok, thank you! I thought there might be a dedicated software for such illustrations, other than the common vector apps.
Yes, it's for wallpapers and the size will be unknown and will vary.
Between Photoshop and Illustrator, I'm more comfortable with the latter.

One more question if I may, what are the best words to describe this design style? Watercolour, earth tones, neutral tones? Is it an illustration or a cartoon?

Thank you

Vector illustration would suffice I think, if you're searching for tutorials etc.

Not entirely accurate - you can use Vector Shapes, Vector Masks and Text layers in photoshop and retain output of the vectors - especially saving it as Photoshop PDF - or printing directly from the PSD via Photoshop.
Of course, but as they said they were new to this, I thought I’d stick to basic rules of thumb, as it is going to be a steep enough learning curve for them as it is if they have never done anything like this in the past. We’ve all seen it before, where clients supply images that are fine at the size of a peanut, but they want them the size of a house. Too easy a trap to fall into, especially if you are a newbie.

Of course, but as they said they were new to this, I thought I’d stick to basic rules of thumb, as it is going to be a steep enough learning curve for them as it is if they have never done anything like this in the past. We’ve all seen it before, where clients supply images that are fine at the size of a peanut, but they want them the size of a house. Too easy a trap to fall into, especially if you are a newbie.

Of course - and you're 100% right to stick to the basics in regards to beginners.
However, you can do some vector within Photoshop if needs be. But I'd highly recommend not doing this as there are dedicated vector apps out there now for this type of thing - especially nice to get free ones.

They look like they're done in something like Illustrator and then taken into Photoshop to add some texture like on the clouds and balloon.

I'd have said they were "flat vectors" until I saw the subtle textures.
It's also very similar in style to 'cut paper' illustration.

Personally, I think the best tool for this would be Affinity Designer.
It's very comparable to Illustrator and many swear by it plus it's only £50 to buy.

Reason I say Affinity Designer is because you can switch between vectors and pixels on the same document and it's very good for adding texture.

Back