Where to Start

Begin2009

Hey everyone

I am new to graphic design, I come from a web background and gained a FD in Multimedia Design(flash, html css etc)

Anyway, I'm looking to get some experience and eventually end up in an agency working as a graphic designer

I don't really know where to start. I have been completing tutorials online via various websites but is this the correct thing?

I don't particularly want to go back to university for the fees and feel I could learn more at home
I just need to get some experience on starting out

Any advice would be welcome

thanks

Best advice I could give is to knock on doors. When I was first starting out I couldn't even get an interview, let alone a job, and that was with a degree in graphic design.

I got so fed up with this that I booked a hotel in London for 2 days and just knocked on doors asking if I could show my portfolio and if they had any work experience. My persistence and cheek landed me experience at a major agency. I worked for nothing but my travel expenses, and was offered a job just over a month later.

Email and calling only go so far. If you want real results, try to deal with someone face to face.

Hope that helps.

Jase

Hey thanks for the reply

I remember a lecturer at College telling me a similar story about a couple who studied advertising

They were working in asda stacking shelves when they decided enough was enough

went down to London and ended up getting some experience with Satchi & Satchi

The problem I have is although I come from a web background with flash, html etc, Graphic Design is something I want to do, but I really can't deal with university again. I dont know if its just me but I learn alot more from working at home.

So i mean is buying books, completing freelance briefs and generally learning all the softwate trying to gain the experience the best way?

The only positive thing i can think about university, is the links they have to agencies.

Its all very confusing lol

thanks

To be honest mate half the time I see people with design degrees start working in an agency and they haven't got a clue when it gets to the sharp end on mocking up, artworking or getting somthing ready for print. My advice is if you can offer yourself for free at an agency, learn as much as you can, if needs be do that for two years beats a college course. Then if you haven't already been offered a job you'll have enough experience and a commercial portfolio, you will then get call backs.

Best of luck.
Rich

To be honest mate half the time I see people with design degrees start working in an agency and they haven't got a clue when it gets to the sharp end on mocking up, artworking or getting somthing ready for print. My advice is if you can offer yourself for free at an agency, learn as much as you can, if needs be do that for two years beats a college course. Then if you haven't already been offered a job you'll have enough experience and a commercial portfolio, you will then get call backs.

Best of luck.
Rich

good advice mate thanks

Spoke to a lad in a graphic design course, mentioned that agencies don't particularly like college/based portfolios, thus trying to get some experience.

I'm going to be a few places today which do promotional stuff ie tanning salons, bars, clubs and re design them to put into my portfolio.

A friend also suggested going through companies in the yellow pages to see if they have any websites and offer to re brand them etc.

Well I live in South Shields and I contacted a studio in Newcastle - Byker.

The owner is Jane Sadler and she takes in all types of design student / graduates etc anyway if you give her an email or a call she will give you some experience. I worked there for a little while a few weeks ago. Thats there website with there contact detail on.

Point design website 06 :: creative designers based in newcastle upon tyne :: websites, brochures, corporate identity, packaging, exhibition and advertising

Good luck in your search.
Sarah:icon_biggrin:

Well I live in South Shields and I contacted a studio in Newcastle - Byker.

The owner is Jane Sadler and she takes in all types of design student / graduates etc anyway if you give her an email or a call she will give you some experience. I worked there for a little while a few weeks ago. Thats there website with there contact detail on.

Point design website 06 :: creative designers based in newcastle upon tyne :: websites, brochures, corporate identity, packaging, exhibition and advertising

Good luck in your search.
Sarah:icon_biggrin:

thanks very much for that sarah

I will have a look it and contact her tommorow, I imagine with it being a bank holiday she may not be available.

Just out of interest are you working in design now or studying?

cheers

graham

thanks very much for that sarah

I will have a look it and contact her tommorow, I imagine with it being a bank holiday she may not be available.

Just out of interest are you working in design now or studying?

cheers

graham

Anytime :icon_smile: happy to help.
Well I am graduating from sunderland uni in like a month, I am hoping to go on to do
my MA there... over the summer I am hoping to do some more experience and freelancing really. its very
hard to get both tho. lol

Anytime :icon_smile: happy to help.
Well I am graduating from sunderland uni in like a month, I am hoping to go on to do
my MA there... over the summer I am hoping to do some more experience and freelancing really. its very
hard to get both tho. lol

Sunderland? lol how funny, I just dropped out Sunderland in febuary. Maintence loan from SLC was swallowed up in rent so couldnt pay. Was in Graphic communication taught by Rob, Roger n Gurpreet.

Been advised on a brilliant course at South Tyneside college, course is package design and branding pretty good from what I hear.

Sunderland? lol how funny, I just dropped out Sunderland in febuary. Maintence loan from SLC was swallowed up in rent so couldnt pay. Was in Graphic communication taught by Rob, Roger n Gurpreet.

Been advised on a brilliant course at South Tyneside college, course is package design and branding pretty good from what I hear.

LOL I am graduating from that course lol I did two year at South Tyneside College on a course called media design publishing with phil west (he is amazing) What year were in?

LOL I am graduating from that course lol I did two year at South Tyneside College on a course called media design publishing with phil west (he is amazing) What year were in?

I was in the first year, was a good course I thought, sad to leave

The course at south Tynsde looks good, I mean Roger reccomended the course to me, he mentioned the guy who ran it and said he was amazing, knew alot on branding, design etc, mentioned that the course was really small and intense.

got a few options at the moment, not good got a bloody clue what to do, just waiting for an interview at south tynside

I was in the first year, was a good course I thought, sad to leave

The course at south Tynsde looks good, I mean Roger reccomended the course to me, he mentioned the guy who ran it and said he was amazing, knew alot on branding, design etc, mentioned that the course was really small and intense.

got a few options at the moment, not good got a bloody clue what to do, just waiting for an interview at south tynside

Yer Phil West knows his stuff, it is really small and intense but phil is very hands on. The packaging course is new ish i think. I did the foundation in media design for two year then after you have passed that it allows you to do one year to compete your BA with sunderland.

All the best
I wish you the best of luck
Sarah

Yer Phil West knows his stuff, it is really small and intense but phil is very hands on. The packaging course is new ish i think. I did the foundation in media design for two year then after you have passed that it allows you to do one year to compete your BA with sunderland.

All the best
I wish you the best of luck
Sarah

Hey got a few things to mention

Got a call from Phil West regarding that interview so thats next monday, just sharping up my portfolio, so whats he like then sarah? I mean Roger raved about him and you said he was good?

spoke to a guy at point in Byker, she hasnt been available, but thinks everything would be ok, so cheers again for the advice again

graham

Last edited:
Hey

aw anytime, I hope everything works out for you with the point. Erm phil is really nice I wouldn't be too
worried he is lovely. He makes sure you do the best you can. He will tell you about the course you have applied for, he'll show you some work people have done before and tell you whats expected from you then erm...ask you if you are still interested. He likes to take his classes on trips to like New York and London.

Good luck with your interview :icon_smile:

Sarah

Hey

aw anytime, I hope everything works out for you with the point. Erm phil is really nice I wouldn't be too
worried he is lovely. He makes sure you do the best you can. He will tell you about the course you have applied for, he'll show you some work people have done before and tell you whats expected from you then erm...ask you if you are still interested. He likes to take his classes on trips to like New York and London.

Good luck with your interview :icon_smile:

Sarah

cheers Sarah

Should be good like, noticed your getting into a bit of freelancing good luck with that and the rest of your course n i'll let u know how i got on

graham

Yer yer thank you, freelancing is going well so far lol. Good luck with your interview, please do let me know how it goes.

Good luck

Sarah

Back