What would you have been if not a designer?

Munni

Well, as the title suggests, I'm just wondering what other jobs/careers creative people may have chosen if you'd not been a designer?

If you didn't study design, did you still intend to be a designer, or did you 'fall' into it?

Me personally, I have studeid graphics, whilst also co-running an events business...I think if I don't truely 'find myself' within graphics within the next year or so, I'll commit to events full-time/permanantly. I am still a creative person and so believe I would still end up in a creative role of some form!

How about you?

A tree surgeon, just so that I can say I'm a surgeon :icon_scared:, and the prospect of working outdoors is rather appealing.

I studied interior design and architectural drafting (diploma level - which is all that my parents could afford in those days) I fell into graphic design along the way through the choices that I had available to me through experience. I would have loved to have been an architect.

I would be a mechanic :icon_tongue_smilie: But I've always been creative and never went down that root.

Rock climber. It's my other passion, but one which does not pay the bills.

Luckily I love creativity and design too.

Wanted to be a professional bicycle racer (tour de france kinda thing) or an architect but my head couldn't handle a-level phisics so it was straight to art school for me & graphics all the was since.

I honestly don't know - granted I'm not in the industry yet and am only just about to embark on my design education! - but I often think, if I can't do design, for whatever reason, what the hell will I do??

I genuinely have nothing else I want to do, nothing that I could see me having a long term career in. Design is it - not sure which area I'll go yet but it's definitely all I have passion for and can see myself doing and enjoying.

Boring answer but probably a failing artist, I nearly took a Fine Art Degree but for some reason opted for Design, otherwise now looking back I would have opted for something in music.

I would have become a microbiologist.. I failed my final year (twice) and moved back home. I did an access course in Art while I was deciding my next path as I never got to do art at school and I'm now 1 yr into a degree. =D

Very lucky to have had a second chance!!

And I learnt that failure may shut some doors, but it opens others that you may never have walked through otherwise. Even better if the room fits :)

Pardon the cheesy life lesson lol.

(They don't teach schoolkids 'your possibly gonna be spending the next 40yrs of your life doing this. Make sure its right for you'

I would have become a microbiologist.. I failed my final year (twice) and moved back home. I did an access course in Art while I was deciding my next path as I never got to do art at school and I'm now 1 yr into a degree. =D

Very lucky to have had a second chance!!

And I learnt that failure may shut some doors, but it opens others that you may never have walked through otherwise. Even better if the room fits :)

Pardon the cheesy life lesson lol.

(They don't teach schoolkids 'your possibly gonna be spending the next 40yrs of your life doing this. Make sure its right for you'

I start on the same course on Monday, my second attempt at it actually. :icon_blushing:

Although this time I'm taking the graphics pathway which is more suited to me so I think I can focus more and see it through since I don't like "typical" art - ie still life drawing etc, I think that was off putting last time round.

Before i found out about studying design, i wanted to become a plumber (god knows why). Then i went to an open day at a college and found myself really wanting to study design. I was always creative at school and felt this industry was for me!

I start on the same course on Monday, my second attempt at it actually.

Although this time I'm taking the graphics pathway which is more suited to me so I think I can focus more and see it through since I don't like "typical" art - ie still life drawing etc, I think that was off putting last time round.

I definitely think it's good to do what you feel suits you as opposed to being pushed into an area you're unsure of. At the end of the day, it's your career and you have to be happy doing it. Also I find if I enjoy it more then I work harder without even realizing it.

My access course was a bit scatty to be honest. Little bits of everything with no room to really get into what you personally enjoy. Also I found that the course style didn't set me up well for doing a degree, as the whole process wasn't so important in Access. In degree, there is as much of an emphasis on the research and development as well as the final product. They want to see how you follow through thoughts and ideas too. I expect that was primarily down to the tutor's style of teaching and the black and white 'pass or fail' tick in the box (whereas degree has varying stages of passes).

Hope that helps you somehow :)
I wish someone told me when I was doing the Access course :)

I definitely think it's good to do what you feel suits you as opposed to being pushed into an area you're unsure of. At the end of the day, it's your career and you have to be happy doing it. Also I find if I enjoy it more then I work harder without even realizing it.

My access course was a bit scatty to be honest. Little bits of everything with no room to really get into what you personally enjoy. Also I found that the course style didn't set me up well for doing a degree, as the whole process wasn't so important in Access. In degree, there is as much of an emphasis on the research and development as well as the final product. They want to see how you follow through thoughts and ideas too. I expect that was primarily down to the tutor's style of teaching and the black and white 'pass or fail' tick in the box (whereas degree has varying stages of passes).

Hope that helps you somehow :)
I wish someone told me when I was doing the Access course :)

Ours has totally changed this year - there seems to be alot of encouragement to show how you got from one thing and came to produce your final outcome. Also the grading has changed and, although you can still get by on a pass, there are also chances to aim for merit and distinction throughout each brief, because it looks better to uni when applying that you pushed yourself to provide more work than asked for.

Only 4 weeks in but doing the graphics side of it is much better than simply art. We still have our drawing sessions each week but I do believe that even as a designer you need to have a level of drawing skills so I for one welcome them :icon_biggrin:

We discussed what you mentioned up there - working better for something you find more enjoyable, rather than being pushed in a direction you don't want to be in. Your career is probably one of the most important aspects of your life, you will work pretty much every day for x amount of years, you want to have a level of enjoyment about it. I would absolutely hate having to work a job I didn't get any satisfaction from.

I'd have been a tattoo artist, I studied it for years before I realized that graphic design made me really happy.

Back