What to ask the business advisor?

bigdave

I've got a meeting with an independent business advisor at the weekend to find out what to do to get my business up and running. When I spoke to her to arrange the appointment I asked if I needed to bring anything, she replied "Just bring your questions" and thats my problem! Because I don't know what I need to know, I don't know what questions I need to ask.

I don't want to turn up and just stare blankly at her for an hour so I though I'd turn to you lot for some help... What kind of things should I be asking at this meeting? What sort of information and guidance should I expect from her?

I know this sounds pretty stupid and raises some questions as to why I'm going to see her if I don't know what I need from her but seeing someone like this is supposed to really help get the business side of a startup company organised and I don't want it to be a waste of time (and money).

I'd go with a blank page if that's where you're at: if you set the agenda there's a possibility that you'll miss out on the overview - in any case, there should be plenty of prompts for appropriate questions arising from your discussion.

Think about where you're at, where you want to be and find out how to get there.

I'd imagine as an advisor you should expect her to advise the best practices for getting to that point, so if you can outline what you've done and where you want to be, she should be able to see if there's anything you've missed, what you should be doing more of and what additional things you can look to do to get to where you want to be.

It's not a Business Link Advisor is it? I felt like I was giving mine a lesson in online business...he went away with more than I gained from the meeting lol.

Back