What is Modern Design?

JMCDesigner

Apparently it's a 'thing' you can have experience of. 'All Designers have it'. Is it more about having an awareness of the latest trends in the industry, or can you actually go out and get tangible experience in 'Modern Design'?

I remember once getting told off in a design crit at Uni because I described a piece of work I was doing as 'Modern' modern can mean anything from the last 50 years nearly so its not really a great way of describing anything, as I found out at the time:icon_biggrin:

I remember once getting told off in a design crit at Uni because I described a piece of work I was doing as 'Modern' modern can mean anything from the last 50 years nearly so its not really a great way of describing anything, as I found out at the time:icon_biggrin:

It's funny you should say that because I was turned down a recent job, the reason being I needed more experience of modern design lol

Ha-haa! In other words they found someone that was cheaper than you JMC...

Don't worry about it, happens all the time. I had a "designer" asking me what was bleed and why 72dpi isn't suitable for print. No wonder his fares are low...

Ha-haa! In other words they found someone that was cheaper than you JMC...

Don't worry about it, happens all the time. I had a "designer" asking me what was bleed and why 72dpi isn't suitable for print. No wonder his fares are low...

Wow, that's really bad lol. I don't even know where you're supposed to start with people like that :icon_lol:

Judging from the results of a quick Google, it's something to do with furniture. Or kitchens. Or kitchen furniture.

Or Bauhaus. Or maybe the guy who asked me didn't actually know himself :icon_tongue_smilie:

..I'll put my hands up to having no experience in carpentry and woodwork though lol

Back