What in-demand creative field do you advise me to study to find a job?

slam629

I'm an apparel graphic designer and I feel I need to change my carrer path finding a job in a in-demand creative field so in my opinion I was thinking to start studying about UI/Visual Design. Anyway what field/s and subjects do you advice me to study (and where on internet if it's possible) ? Thanks in advance for your precious help

You should really be looking at fields that you enjoy. UI/UX is a popular field at the moment but I wouldn't recommend aiming to be a UX designer simply because it's in demand unless you enjoy it. Experience of web and digital technology is always useful to have, especially if you can code at the same time. I know a few people that were designers who just focus on code now because it's much more in demand.

You should really be looking at fields that you enjoy. UI/UX is a popular field at the moment but I wouldn't recommend aiming to be a UX designer simply because it's in demand unless you enjoy it. Experience of web and digital technology is always useful to have, especially if you can code at the same time. I know a few people that were designers who just focus on code now because it's much more in demand.
Well, I like the UI field, I like the fact to design all the user interface, icons, landing page, newsletters, buttons and so on and I'm even studying UX (just started out) but I never worked out of textile environment and I want to get a job as a junior UI/Visual designer, so, in my case, what are the core fundamentals you advice me to master and the projects to show in my portfolio when I find a job offer ? Until now I only know PS, AI, ID, Word and Excel and I already seen I have to master Sketch and likely other wireframing softwares. I studied HTML and CSS but I interrupted because of job and now I forgot almost all and I have to restart. PS : I even like a lot the UX field but UI is what I like the most, obviously I seen job offers for UX/UI designers so I'm studying both, even because UX is so interesting with the research on the field, inteviewing people without saying our opinion, being impartial, take notes, finding out pain points, creating personas, finding solutions with colleagues, storyboards, wireframe on paper and so on. I especially like a lot the storyboards and research on fields even because travelling is one of my passions and I started out as comics artist, and portraitist

Honestly with the way AI etc is being coded to 'replace' designers I'd probably be looking at something completely outside of design if I was starting over now.... Hell I've even considered becoming a plumber recently because they never seem to want to do any work yet always seem to have tonnes of money, although this might just be due to my current experience of trying to find a decent one who actually wants to do a 'easy but long winded' job where they'll get paid at their hourly rate to do it...

In essence you can say that 90% of websites can get away with something created via squarespace or the likes, professional graphic design is being degraded due to 'everyone owning photoshop' and AI is being coded to replace 3D and motion design so gradually there will be no need for us unless you head into something entirely handmade/bespoke in nature. In all honesty I wouldn't recommend anyone goes into design these days if they wanted long term job security.

So my recommendation is plumbing and/or electrical work for the domestic market :)

Honestly with the way AI etc is being coded to 'replace' designers I'd probably be looking at something completely outside of design if I was starting over now.... Hell I've even considered becoming a plumber recently because they never seem to want to do any work yet always seem to have tonnes of money, although this might just be due to my current experience of trying to find a decent one who actually wants to do a 'easy but long winded' job where they'll get paid at their hourly rate to do it...

In essence you can say that 90% of websites can get away with something created via squarespace or the likes, professional graphic design is being degraded due to 'everyone owning photoshop' and AI is being coded to replace 3D and motion design so gradually there will be no need for us unless you head into something entirely handmade/bespoke in nature. In all honesty I wouldn't recommend anyone goes into design these days if they wanted long term job security.

So my recommendation is plumbing and/or electrical work for the domestic market :)

I agree with Levi on this, I wouldn't get into design at all either (and all my tradesman friends who run their own businesses are also loaded!)

He's right.

Just as a simple example:

I'm working my way into film making, and the other day my iPhone updated with a copy of iMovie on it.

You can basically film and edit a 1080p video on a phone now, it's not perfect - but in 5 years they'll probably be simulating DSLR aperture/focus onboard in those things, and given Adobe's (among others) current penchant for free, high level iOS software - there'll be an approximation of After Effects for smartphones banding around soon. It's a symptom of the creative arts becoming massively accessible.

It may give a small slice of the population an access to creative expression that they may not have otherwise accessed, but the overall impact is the devaluation of the craft.

The times, they are a'changin'.

Because of stuff happened in the past I will never do a job i don't like. I'll never do it again. Never.
Speaking about head into something entirely handmade/bespoke many friends suggested me to become a tattoo artist because of my portraits and drawings. And it's something I think about everyday and I could looked for a course in my spare time when I was working beginning 3 years ago as graphic designer (when my life started a path partially reborn from the stuff happened until now) but because of all the practice and money it takes I preferred work and studying Adobe suite, drawing anatomy and studying UX and UI after work hours so I could applying for a job that I could studied in the afternoon at home and there was no need to move to another city because of tattoo course, buying all the expensive (even the cheapest) equipment, inks and so on. Two different paths and I choose the closest to me speaking about money and time I could invest. Now I'm unemployed since 9 october and I just got an interview in a company so far I could take about even 2 hours to reach it and another two hours to go home after a whole day everyday and the wage for the first six months is too low to rent a room in that city ( and I have to say low in general) , basically have no time to study and practise tattoo or Visual or Graphic Design or whatever subject (except for reading in the train and in the bus before) unless I want to sacrifice my social life, a heavy stupid thing I already did because of stuff happened in the past and I will never forget the brutal life lessons I learned after so if it will be the case I prefer lose the job rather than repeat the past, studying " full time " UX/UI and web design and looking for a job, get a job even as one I already had but closer to my city and meanwhile see about tattoo courses in my spare time

I agree with Levi on this, I wouldn't get into design at all either (and all my tradesman friends who run their own businesses are also loaded!)
I apologize I didn't understand what you mean about "and all my tradesman friends who run their own businesses are also loaded", fully work load ?

He's right.

Just as a simple example:

I'm working my way into film making, and the other day my iPhone updated with a copy of iMovie on it.

You can basically film and edit a 1080p video on a phone now, it's not perfect - but in 5 years they'll probably be simulating DSLR aperture/focus onboard in those things, and given Adobe's (among others) current penchant for free, high level iOS software - there'll be an approximation of After Effects for smartphones banding around soon. It's a symptom of the creative arts becoming massively accessible.

It may give a small slice of the population an access to creative expression that they may not have otherwise accessed, but the overall impact is the devaluation of the craft.

The times, they are a'changin'.
I have no doubt about but I want to do a job I like because of stuff happened in my past. I become worse than a zombie at work and out when I'm doing something I don't like for hours like a job, only for the money. Money it's important I think we can be all agree and even I want to get a job as a UI/Visual Designer because better paid compared with a traditional graphic designer but even because I like the subjects, the same to be a tattoo artist. Drawing is my first passion, I draw since I was a child. I started out as a comics artist, muralist and portraitist and then i begun studying graphic design. If I would get a job in demand only for the money because the times, they are a'changin' I'd ask about programming rather

Back