What are your views about this question about your own design work?

BirdlimeDesign

What is your take on this statement about your own design work? “The design work you are currently doing is unoriginal and irrelevant.”

Think about why is your work relevant to the design world and state why your work is unoriginal and different to everyone elses!

If you argue FOR the statement state why you think all design is original and why there is nothing which can be stated as NEW design work.

All replies will be appreciated.

nooo i need some answers for a book i'm writing! i need some interviews and quotations from other designers so i thought design forums would be the best place to look

... why is your work relevant to the design world ...

Most designers aim to produce work that is relevant to the design brief; to talk of 'the design world' is to make the mistake of ignoring context which, in the final analysis, is pretty much everything.

What is your take on this statement about your own design work? “The design work you are currently doing is unoriginal and irrelevant.”

That's two entirely different criticisms wrapped up in one statement.Taking the 'unoriginal' criticism, well it's all relative isn't it? Nothing can be entirely original otherwise we wouldn't be able to comprehend it.

As regards, 'irrelevant', we'd need to know 'irrelevant' to what? Out of context it's pretty hard to argue for or against such a statement. Without context there can be no argument.

Most designers aim to produce work that is relevant to the design brief; to talk of 'the design world' is to make the mistake of ignoring context which, in the final analysis, is pretty much everything.

... design world ... i would interprate that as industary standard and well i always try to make sure that all my work is to indrstry standard, weither that being printed CYMK 300dpi high res artwork, High Quality photographs, or making website to W3C standards. How ever this is not always possible depending on the customer, for example if a customer want a photo with in their artwork and they supply you with a low res image not 300dpi then you may have to use it and just ighnore the error in prefligh checks for that image, same with website and W3C some times you need to ignore the W3C to get sites to look exactally and oporate exactally how the customer want (or the brief states)

IMO

How can industry standards be talked of in terms of relevance or originality? They're standards.

How can industry standards be talked of in terms of relevance or originality? They're standards.

in the way that sometimes you can be as creative and original as you like but sometimes held back by the "standards"... ie that photo would be great as a full page in the mag... but when at that size it only 72dpi, or i love some scrolling banners on my website... the javascript to product the slide dont meet W3C standards etc

client budget also has a big part to play in that as well.... of course.

Back