Website critique & about my Deafness...

d_pipa

Hello :icon_smile:

Website
I thought it's time to have some critique on my website. I've been looking for junior / graduate graphic design job for a year, with no success. Any feedback / advice would be greatly appreciated!

My portfolio website can be seen on: inspireme247.com

CV
Because I am profoundly Deaf, should I add a section on my CV about my Deafness? There already is a section called 'Additional Information' at the bottom, which can be seen on: inspireme247.com/CV.pdf

Let me know what you think about this.

I appreciate this is a big ask to look through my portfolio website and CV but if you have any tips, advice or criticisms on either item I would be very grateful!

Cheers,
Dean

Ummm, haven't got time to look at everything now but using a crowd source as a main blog / post, really? They are generally ridiculed and thought very little of in our industry (with good reason). I accept they are maybe good places for practice but don't go endorsing them etc. Most GD companies hate them with a passion and if such a place saw that on your web they would likely write you off just for having that post on there.

Will look more later :icon_thumbup:

Hi Dean, welcome to the forum.

The look and layout of your website is fine. It's nice and simple and tidy and does the job. The good thing about sites like these is that they let the work do the talking.

I'm being picky but I think your descriptive paragraph needs looking at. The first sentence specifically lacks a full stop or 2.

The first couple of lines also need rejigging. "I am a creative and enthusiastic freelance graphic designer creating graphic, logo design and web design based in West Yorkshire, UK. My focus is on creating work that generates impact and results. If you require me, then don't hesitate in contacting me."

This doesn't sound right - and it needs to. As a graphic designer your grammar and punctuation are just as important as the work you do.

I understand you want the experience of working on some real briefs, but I'd be very careful advertising sites like DesignCrowd on your own site. The general feeling amongst the professional design community about sites like Designcrowd, 99designs and Crowdspring, isn't good. I won't go into it here, but if you have a look around a few threads within this forum alone, you'll soon understand why.

You have some nice work on there. I'd be careful loading it with as much as possible, especially duplicates that just have the text in a different place. Just show your best stuff.

I don't know about anyone else but after reading all of your written bits, your resume, your about page particularly, a lot of it doesn't make sense. I mean I could work it out, but it's like a few words are in the wrong place? I'd get someone to go through it for you and rejig some of the words.

Whilst this will be pretty tedious it's important everything is right. It shows your attention to detail, or lack of it, if its not right on your own website.

Other than that, I like it.

:icon_cheers:

Just one other quick point re your deafness; my best friend is also profoundly deaf. When he set up his IT company he made a point of telling people on his web / flyers "I'm Richard the deaf geek...".

So where you have "I'm Dean I build websites...." you could always say "I'm Dean the deaf designer". Bottom line it shows you accept and embrace who you are and there is utterly no confusion in people's minds re how to contact you etc.

Just one other quick point re your deafness; my best friend is also profoundly deaf. When he set up his IT company he made a point of telling people on his web / flyers "I'm Richard the deaf geek...".

So where you have "I'm Dean I build websites...." you could always say "I'm Dean the deaf designer". Bottom line it shows you accept and embrace who you are and there is utterly no confusion in people's minds re how to contact you etc.

I agree. Not that it really matters anyway, but your deafness has no bearing on the quality of work you do. Whether you mention it or not, I don't think it really matters.

Hey Dean,

I really like your website. It's nice and simple and easy to use, a key feature for me with websites, as I hate things being overly fussy. It's also nice to not be 'sold upon' immediately. You've went with your blog as the opening page which is nice and automatically engaged me in your website.

Your logo work all looks fairly neat, however the ProStudio and CrowdsourcingSE logos both share the same typographic idea. I also haven't looked into the company CrowdsourcingSE but if they're anything like their name suggests, they're not going to be popular on here.

Navigating the work is easy enough, but there's not a cross to return to your site or anything, you have to click back onto the work which is a little strange? Also, if I wanted to link somebody to a certain piece of your work, I wouldn't be able to do that, which is slightly ineffective.

I think your portfolio is very broad and I think maybe you could benefit from narrowing your practise a bit? Afterall, jack of all trades, master of none?

Cheers,
Tony

Hi,

im not in the camp that likes your site totally, to me it ok, but looks too much like a wordpress/ word document, although you are not a web dev, the site "could" be a bit more creative. :icon_biggrin:

I don't know about anyone else but after reading all of your written bits, your resume, your about page particularly, a lot of it doesn't make sense. I mean I could work it out, but it's like a few words are in the wrong place? I'd get someone to go through it for you and rejig some of the words.

Whilst this will be pretty tedious it's important everything is right. It shows your attention to detail, or lack of it, if its not right on your own website.

Definitely agree with that. Some of your text just doesn't read very well / is grammatically incorrect. As Arrivals said, when it is picked up on by a potential employer (and it will be picked up); they will think you don't pay attention to detail.

If you're unsure you could always start a thread here and post what you want to say and ask for input etc.

Hey guys.

I really appreciated for your time and consideration on my website and about my Deafness.

@spottypengiuin
"I'm Dean the deaf designer". That's a brilliant idea!

@ARRIVALS
I thought your criticisms are bang on. I agree with what you said, and am determined to get it right with my English grammar and punctuation.

I took your advice about the professional design community sites. The last thing I want to do is lose my opportunities, being written off by the potential employers.

@Tony Hardy
I agree. I will sort my portfolio out by narrowing my practise, like you said. I will also sort out with the 'navigating to my work'. "...jack of all trades, master of none" - you're totally right about this. :icon_biggrin:

Things to look at
  • English grammar and punctuation.
  • Narrow my portfolio down

Aim: I need to improve my Attention to detail skills.

Apologies for not replying sooner!

I thought it'd be good idea to ask for your advice about my idea below.

My current domain address will be renewed soon, I can either renew or cancel it.

spottypenguin said:

I thought that's a brilliant idea, though I don't have to do that.

deafdesigner.co.uk domain is available, it would be something unusual and unique. Which I am looking for.
However I am worried about the potential employers. Some may be put off with my Deafness - some did. :icon_mad:

Do you think I should go for it? :icon_confused:

I think it could be a unique selling point.

It could be a potential put-off for clients who prefer to speak over the phone/skype or people that are small-minded (who you wouldn't want to work with anyway) but aside from that I like the idea. Be proud of being deaf!

I think it's brilliant and very unique.............. and you owe me £99Trillion for the idea :icon_thumbup:

Joking aside, go for it. Like Paul says, if somebody is put off by your deafness you wouldn't want to work with them anyway

Back