Web Design question

munstermad

I have someone through a mutual friend that is asking me to design her website. She says she already has a general idea of what she wants it to look like and she is wanting me to use Shopify. Is that weird? Isn’t that a little limiting in terms of individuality? I never thought that web designers were hired to design websites using an E-Commerce website template platform. I guess the graphic designer's knowledge of layout design is still much valued in this case, but I’m out of my depth in terms of what I should charge for this project. Not sure if the product assets are ready for upload so I could potentially be preparing those. I know freelancers charge whatever they want, but I guess I’m just looking for some input anyways just to give me some direction. Thanks for any advice!

I have someone through a mutual friend that is asking me to design her website. She says she already has a general idea of what she wants it to look like and she is wanting me to use Shopify. Is that weird? Isn’t that a little limiting in terms of individuality? I never thought that web designers were hired to design websites using an E-Commerce website template platform. I guess the graphic designer's knowledge of layout design is still much valued in this case [deleted] but I’m out of my depth in terms of what I should charge for this project. Not sure if the product assets are ready for upload so I could potentially be preparing those. I know freelancers charge whatever they want, but I guess I’m just looking for some input anyways just to give me some direction. Thanks for any advice!
no response

Last edited by a moderator:
no response
It was just before 11 PM, ie night time, for most of the people on this forum.... we actually go to bed at some point, so expecting a response by 2 AM, when we're likely sleeping, is a bit unrealistic.

As to the original post...you say it yourself, you're out of your depth and it's pretty obvious because you haven't even asked a basic question (are they supplying assets) before thinking about the price.....

You already have the wrong idea about pricing too, we can't charge 'whatever we want'....we can charge what the client is prepared to pay relative to the market value for the work we're doing.

There's a lot to read and I'm too tired to digest it all.

But in term of charging what I want, I certainly do. A fair rate that gives me profit.

And it's not a set fee. It's charged appropriately. The lone cafe down the road can get the lower rate. But a big chain gets the much higher rate.

Back