Urgent PDF help!!

elMediano

Hi all,

I have a client who has provided me with a Word file to print. I exported it to PDF and printed a sample to check colours, etc. The thing is the colours are not the same as the previous print my client had, and they prefer the first one.

The PDF has almost 100 pages, and I'm trying to avoid changing the red colour on every single page since it's mostly text and rectangles.

I know that MIcrosoft doesn't use CMYK or RGB colours and that they will never get the colour they want on a digital printer by providing me with a Word file, but I need to make this client happy because it's a good one.

I have realised that appart from the red, all the colours on the original print are more yellowy... my question is.... is there any way to add Yellow (or any colour) to a whole PDF file? Some kind of VARIATIONS like the one in Photoshop?

Please heeeeeeelp!!! :icon_biggrin:

Thank you!!

Have you checked the colour breakdown in acrobat against the original file (the first print, which you say is the right colour)? As there is an overall yellowy-ness it may be the output device rather than the file. If you check the CMYK values in acrobat (advanced, print production, output preview) they may be the same. Then if they are, when you get it printed, just provide a hard copy (as in finshed printed article) of the right coloured file as a matchprint.

Last edited:
Hey Artgem,

Thanks for your reply.

The thing is, I only have a Word file of the original, which I exported to PDF. I also have a hard copy of it but it differs from the exported PDF when printed.

I did check the CMYK values which are:

C: 0%
M: 99%
Y: 100%
K: 0%

So it's basically RED. We think the colour we get is the right one, which is a nice and rich Red, but they prefer the other one.

Is there any way to open the PDF and modify it all?

Thanks!

So let me clarify, are you printing the exact same file? As in, the hardcopy with colour they like, is the exact same file you are printing from? Where has their hardcopy come from (have they printed it in the office? Is it a finished item from last times print run?)

It may be to do with the device the copy is printed on is what I'm getting at (because of your mention of an overall colour difference that seems yellowy), the best idea would be to see if your printer can match the hard copy your client likes, by adjusting inks on their machine. As far as I know there is no easy button to adjust colours from PDF's unfortunately. Maybe someone else may know something.

I have just been told the hard copy is a bloody photocopy!!! No wonder it differs from the one we are printing. But still, I have to match it, so I need to change page by page the damn red. Open each page in Photshop, apply some variations, save them and then put them into InDesign.... bollocks!!!

Thanks a lot anyway for your help mate, much appreciate it :icon_cheers:

Is red the only colour that features? Have you spoken with your printer about adjusting the colour balance on press?

I have just been told the hard copy is a bloody photocopy!!! No wonder it differs from the one we are printing. But still, I have to match it, so I need to change page by page the damn red. Open each page in Photshop, apply some variations, save them and then put them into InDesign.... bollocks!!

Have you tried opening the pages in AI and use the select same colour function to change all items??

Back