Upskilling to become a visual Designer

Jim.niceone

Hi, I have a background in Graphic Design and have worked mainly as an in-house designer for various companies for over 10 years. I feel its time for me to move on and have seen the buzz word Visual Designer being mentioned a lot in employment ads. I think it would be a good step up for me as I have been working on various projects for digital platforms, eg social media graphics, website layouts, mobile app icon design and have been using Adobe XD. I was looking at a course for Visual Design on Created Academy and wondered if anyone has any experience with them. And also do you think it would be worthwhile for me to Upskill to gain further employment.

thanks,
Jim

Thanks GA.
Had a look at the links supplied, there are some good courses there. I suppose it makes more sense for me to just concentrate on UI/UX skills as I have already got experience in graphic design and branding. Its just that there seems to be many more job titles around that it gets confusing, Visual Designer, Front End Designer, UI/UX Designer etc.
Im pretty old school (due to my age!) that I thought the term Graphic Designer could cover these aspects of design, I still do, but I'm not seeing as many Graphic Designer jobs advertised as I used too.
I suppose having the title as Graphic Designer in my CV shouldn't stop me applying for these type as jobs, as long as I have relevant examples to show in my portfolio.
Im just a bit scared and lack confidence at the moment and think that I'm falling behind in the way the career is moving.

thanks for responding.

Thanks GA.
Had a look at the links supplied, there are some good courses there. I suppose it makes more sense for me to just concentrate on UI/UX skills as I have already got experience in graphic design and branding. Its just that there seems to be many more job titles around that it gets confusing, Visual Designer, Front End Designer, UI/UX Designer etc.
Im pretty old school (due to my age!) that I thought the term Graphic Designer could cover these aspects of design, I still do, but I'm not seeing as many Graphic Designer jobs advertised as I used too.
I suppose having the title as Graphic Designer in my CV shouldn't stop me applying for these type as jobs, as long as I have relevant examples to show in my portfolio.
Im just a bit scared and lack confidence at the moment and think that I'm falling behind in the way the career is moving.

thanks for responding.
You're welcome!
Obviously, the term graphic design only goes to indicate a broader general category with more ramifications.
It's not so important which one you want to fit into to give you a label. The important thing is to solve problems, whatever it is.
Always feel free to experiment: be consistent with what you want to learn.

Hi G.A,

I'm in a similar position looking to find a UX course to learn new skills.

Have a look at this article i found with some potentially decent links to online courses.

Hi G.A,

I'm in a similar position looking to find a UX course to learn new skills.

Have a look at this article i found with some potentially decent links to online courses.

I just read it, but it seems rather generic. If you want to interface in this world and experiment, I recommend first getting curious to see how you react. There's a ton of free content on YouTube, and rather than spending money directly on a course, maybe you could start with a few books (such as Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products, Don't make me thing by Steve Krug — you can find more and more!)

Back