universal ways of saying 'this one is ok, but this is best' or "this is good/bad" etc.

JLRRA91

Hi everyone, let me start by saying I'm the opposite of a graphic designer I.e NOT a graphic designer!

I recently started to learn how to make videos for youtube. So far, it has been a very difficult learning curve, and I'm far from considering myself reasonably competent.

I am trying to keep costs to an absolute minimum by doing what I can myself, or learning what I can. Obviously, this has limitations, having only just started on a completely foreign career path.

My initial videos used text to instruct viewers on what to do, but I want to appeal to the widest market possible by using animations and symbols etc.

I wanted to denote that some of my videos are for laptop/large screen and some are for mobile phone. Initially I spent time designing a TICK (check mark) in photoshop, overlayed it on the video, and duplicated it 3 times to convey that mobile phone is ok (1 tick), a tablet is better (2 ticks) and laptop or monitor is best (3 ticks), only to discover that a tick in Sweden and Finland means the opposite of good, and a cross (X) mean different things, too! So I had wasted hours doing what I thought was good, only to find out that I need to replace (redo) parts of my videos.... but with what? I thought maybe a 'thumbs up' would denote good, too. But the thumbs up symbol in West Africa and the Middle East means 'up yours!'

What are the best ways to convey a particular meaning that are universal, so I'm not inadvertently offending an entire country or region?

How do you graphic designers get around issues like this?

Thanks

I would have thought stars were universal, like on Amazon reviews etc, i.e. 2 stars out of 5 etc?

I'm confused. Are you saying you have two versions of video with one for mobile and one for larger screens?

I'm confused. Are you saying you have two versions of video with one for mobile and one for larger screens?
No need for confusion, Fisicx.

My videos are vision therapy (eye exercises), and are designed to be viewed on a larger screen and hands-free. Some of the exercises involve holding your finger in front of your nose, whilst covering one eye with your other hand. Also, holding a small device closer is not ideal for these eye exercises as the focal distance is too close.

The video instructions clearly state that a larger screen is best, but 63% of viewers are using mobile devices.

I do not have 2 versions yet, but my youtube analytics are telling me that I need to adapt all my current exercises and start anew (which would be immensly time consuming), or I produce a mobile-friendly series and create seperate playlists

Back