The "C" Word

Jimlad

I lost my job. Company restructure. Not related to Covid-19 but happened just as it was ramping up, so finding a new job has been made just that little bit harder.

Leaning more into freelance work, and while there are a few job postings popping up (oddly inspired by covid-19 as well) I reckon competition just increased as well. Le sigh.

My old employer paid for my Adobe subscription. So I've recently signed up for the Photography only package (hello Adobe Portfolio website!) and replaced Illustrator and InDesign with one-off half-price purchases of Affinity Designer and Publisher. Designer is really good, not tried Publisher yet.

Levi

Staff member
I lost my job. Company restructure. Not related to Covid-19 but happened just as it was ramping up, so finding a new job has been made just that little bit harder.

Leaning more into freelance work, and while there are a few job postings popping up (oddly inspired by covid-19 as well) I reckon competition just increased as well. Le sigh.

My old employer paid for my Adobe subscription. So I've recently signed up for the Photography only package (hello Adobe Portfolio website!) and replaced Illustrator and InDesign with one-off half-price purchases of Affinity Designer and Publisher. Designer is really good, not tried Publisher yet.
Doesn't Adobe have a 90 day free trial at the moment, could save you a few quid if nothing else, although I wouldn't be shocked to see affinity gain huge traction during the current situation, based on my quick testing for most of us I'd say we can get away with affinity photo as a replacement for photoshop too.

As I mentioned earlier, get in touch with universal credit people (or apply online) if applicable, do it asap as there seems to be some delays in payments by the looks of it and don't forget to get in touch with banks etc if you have mortgages, they might give you some leeway on paying etc.

Jimlad

Appled for UC weeks ago. Takes about 5 weeks for them to decide anything. Half convinced I caught Covid from their office. Oh yes, did I forget to mention? I got the damn virus as well. It is NOT fun :(
Over it now though.

I think Adobe released a longer trial shortly after I made my purchases. Same with Affinity. I'm not bothered though. Fuck Adobe's £50 a month industry monopoly tax. I couldn't quite let go of Photoshop though, and if I was going to pay £8 a month or whatever for a Squarespace website, I'd rather pay £10 a month for Adobe Portfolio and get Photoshop thrown in :giggle: though to be honest I'm doing most of my drawing in Artstudio Pro these days anyway.

scotty

Staff member
Sorry to hear that Jim. :(

One of my Designer mates has just been laid off too and the projects I was working on are on hold until whenever.

If you've got a bit of time on your hands then have you considered using Wordpress for your portfolio site?
My hosting + domain is £30 per year and you can get free portfolio themes or borrow a premium one from someone else who has paid. ;)

I did read that Adobe did extend their trial to three months but it's not as easy as doing the Affinity one but I've not tried.

Jimlad

Thanks @scotty
While I understand Wordpress is a great option, the integration with Behance and it's inclusion with Photoshop just made Adobe Portfolio too easy an option not to use. If I decide to invest in a wordpress site I'll bear that in mind though. Do we have a part of the forum where people can give feedback on people's portfolios?

Naheed

Same here - emails gone dry.

Looking for alternative work in the health care and cleaning businesses to pick up a few hours if I can... tough times indeed!
Same as you guys. Pandemic hit every corner of life and closed the businesses due to which orders were affected badly. They began to decline gradually to no order at all, such was the time. However, optimism, patience, and constant struggle is needed for future success.
Thanks