The "C" Word

scotty

Staff member
Hey all,

I know we're all riding the Corona shit storm at the moment and probably sick of the sound of it but how is everyone coping as Designers?
I know some of us are employed whilst others work for ourselves.
I'm hearing that most Designers are feeling it with people being laid off, projects being put on hold or not starting due to the uncertain times so how are you guys holding up?

I'm in the same boat so I'm hoping to take the opportunity to do a few projects that I've had on the back burner and learn some new stuff.

Incase you're wanting to do the same, I hear Adobe have extended their free trial to 90 days on Creative cloud.

Serif have done the same (90 days free) and also halved the price of Affinity Photo, Designer and Publisher to around £25.

If you're wanting to learn any of the above or even something non design related then Lynda.com have a 30 day free trial and if you look around you can get two months free Skillshare access.
When I went to cancel, Skillshare gave me another month so 3 months FREE! :)

Anyhow, You all take care and keep safe out there.

Levi

Staff member
Reporting in....

Seen the affinity thing, giving it a whirl because at £75 all in it's arguably the cheapest it's been... and I've been very much in the 'get rid of subscriptions where possible mood' for a while now.

I'm lucky in that I have a bit of a cushion financially but I know not everyone is so remember if you are going through 'tough times' have a chat with your local universal credit people (or citizens advice) over the phone (probably busy so be prepared to wait) or online if possible, you might be able to get financial support from them etc.

hankscorpio

Staff member
Same here - emails gone dry.

Looking for alternative work in the health care and cleaning businesses to pick up a few hours if I can... tough times indeed!

scotty

Staff member
Reporting in....

Seen the affinity thing, giving it a whirl because at £75 all in it's arguably the cheapest it's been... and I've been very much in the 'get rid of subscriptions where possible mood' for a while now.

I'm lucky in that I have a bit of a cushion financially but I know not everyone is so remember if you are going through 'tough times' have a chat with your local universal credit people (or citizens advice) over the phone (probably busy so be prepared to wait) or online if possible, you might be able to get financial support from them etc.
MATE! It's a steal at that price and I know you want to rid yourself of the sub based model......As do I and a lot of others. ;)
I think Adobe might be feeling Serif's presence right now.

I've downloaded the trial and I like what I'm seeing.
It's a bit different to Ai but no biggie.
Just have to see how it integrates with Ae now.

Good on you for sharing that advice Levi.
I fear many of us will need that sadly. :(

The project I was working on was for a Uni so that's on hold now. :(
Thankfully, my wife works in school (key worker) so hopefully we have that as a cushion.

I know we're all sick of the Rona thing already but only we know how it is affecting us personally as Designers, so I made this thread, even if it's just for a moan.

Keep you and yours safe mate!

scotty

Staff member
Another thing I've done is to contact a local business support/coaching organisation as I can draw but I'm shit at business.

They've been REALLY helpful.
They've already paid for a SEO company to look at my site to suggest where I can improve it, given me some great advice and a well needed kick up the arse via Skype.

There's a lot we can be doing during the shit storm.

hankscorpio

Staff member
There's a lot we can be doing during the shit storm.
Indeed - I'm going to try learn a new application - or perhaps something in coding to spruce up skills in other areas.

Any ideas? I'm already a dab hand with Illy, PS and InDesign - where would one start with coding or something like that - any tips?

scotty

Staff member
Indeed - I'm going to try learn a new application - or perhaps something in coding to spruce up skills in other areas.

Any ideas? I'm already a dab hand with Illy, PS and InDesign - where would one start with coding or something like that - any tips?
I don't know shit about coding as it's not really my thing but probably a good thing to learn.

I used Skillshare and a lot of free online resources to learn Ae so it's very doable I guess.

scotty

Staff member
Video editing might be good - might give that a go - I taught myself everything else so it should be a breeze :cool:
You can do that in Ae and I think Premier works very similarly as well.

It can take a while to get your head around timelines but once you do it's a lot of fun and very rewarding.
Any motion stuff is very good to know and is quite popular at the moment.

scotty

Staff member
All good here health wise (so far) although orders have decreased massively, tough times ahead!
Glad you're fit.
Just heard from my client in London who has it but getting over it.

I think everyone is feeling it right now but then they may feel the need to make the extra push to get trade which is where we may come in?
We'll just see I guess?

hankscorpio

Staff member

It can take a while to get your head around timelines but once you do it's a lot of fun and very rewarding.
I did some Flash back in the day - from what I dabbled in AE at the moment seems similar to how the Flash stuff worked. But I can always do the LinkedIn Training (which was formerly Lynda.com I think?).

scotty

Staff member
Is it?

Yep. It works in a very similar way so you'll have a head start.
LOADS more you can do with it though.

Levi

Staff member
Video editing might be good - might give that a go - I taught myself everything else so it should be a breeze :cool:

I was thinking of taking a look at https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/products/davinciresolve/, it's free unless you want to unlock some 'less important' (imo) bits. It's basically video editing, colour grading etc.

To be fair it was another 'get rid of subscriptions' program I'd been looking at lol

For the 'artists' you might want a look at krita, if you want to try something different like 3D, blender is a pretty strong program and arguably one of the main ones being used these days, even in some commercial settings.... both are free.

Might also be worth using the time for 'tidying up those computers' and the office etc, maybe restructuring how you do accounting etc, basically do all the things you keep putting off lol

hankscorpio

Staff member
Might also be worth using the time for 'tidying up those computers' and the office etc, maybe restructuring how you do accounting etc, basically do all the things you keep putting off lol
I do have to build a fence for the dog, the garden is full of shit! A fence could be a nice project. Have some old pallets, my trusty hammer, and photoshop for mockups!

Levi

Staff member
OK trying out affinity and is it me or affinity publisher just really weird or more accurately bloody stupid to use....

I want to do a nice simple triangle with text in the top right corner, you know like a 'folded corner'.... so I make a right angle triangle, I then rotate/flip the triangle because I can't draw it to just fit the damn corner. I then convert it for text and the text is rotated 90 degrees on to it's side because for some stupid reason affinity publisher thinks that we want the text to match the original rotation of the triangle we just moved around.....

I look for ways to rotate the text, I try several different things to see if it's 'me' and nope I can't find any obvious way to have the text top to bottom like it's supposed to be....

Quick look on the forum seems to suggest we need to go through some convoluted merging process to fix this.... anyone else done this imo common and simple task?

I know the software isn't expensive but this arguable design 101 stuff... even MS publisher 2010 can do what I'm trying to do....

part 2: I decided to try and edit a frame so the bottom 'fits the edge of a shape' (in my case it's like a jagged mountain) .. the adjustment to the shape is fairly easy and because I want to reshape the bottom of the box I do the adjustments on the bottom of the frame (which is common sense seeing as it's showing the whole box still) and what does it do, nothing to start with so I play with the settings and what does it do when it finally does something...it puts the text on the OUTSIDE of the box underneath the bit I just changed.....

Yes it's a new program for me and there's going to be a learning curve but seriously wtf....

Last edited: