The black art of image optimisation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I normally optimise my images using TinyPNG, but I'm curious to see what the results of that compared or combined with your technique would be.

I'll post up when the 2nd part is published.

The idea being that once you understand how the optimisation works on export you can modify the image before you export to cash in on the benefits. So it would be great to get some real life feedback if you do try this.

It can be time consuming, so not ideal for every image, but sometimes you have that real nice hero image and just need to put the time in to getting it that bit smaller. :) enjoy.

I normally optimise my images using TinyPNG, but I'm curious to see what the results of that compared or combined with your technique would be.

What results do you get with tinypng? Has your pagespeed increased since your use or has it been unchanged?

What results do you get with tinypng? Has your pagespeed increased since your use or has it been unchanged?

It certainly makes a difference with loading. Combining it with something like LazyLoad can help too. I tend to use it manually a lot of the time but there's a WP plugin available and API's available if you want to use it on a server.

Yep, you basically just upload your images, it compresses then and you re-download the compressed versions. Or you can use the Wordpress plugin to have it optimise images automatically for you if you're running on WP.

Another alternative is Kraken. I use this with Perch CMS to optimise images as they're uploaded.

Im also a tiny png guy , it does well enough for png files but i find with jpegs it comes short since googel page speed will always still suggest more compression. I have yet to find a all in one AUTO solution for , serving a scaled image , thats compressed lossless. I dont use Word Press i gave smush it a go , but to me it just mangles my images , i think if you have the knowledge and the time to compress you can do a better job manually on illustrator or Photoshop. BUT we dont all have the time not even for our own sites let alone client sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back