Tessellated I - my simple technical drawing, coloured artfully

Peter Dow

Hi. I joined up to show you this below but I suppose it is only polite to introduce myself.

About Peter Dow

Biography
Scientist turned political writer / publisher

Interests
Women

Occupation
Job?

tessellatedi500.jpg

View a larger scale version of Tessellated I

A tessellation of a capital "I" shape employing the colours of the spectrum which I created using Paint.NET the free image and photo editing software which runs on Windows.

The "I" Shape.
The "I" shape is square in proportions, with the vertical column one third the width of the square by design. The thickness of the base and top of the "I" are the same thickness and consequently have to be one quarter of the height of the square to tessellate in this precise fashion. The shape of the "I" I arrived at during consideration of one of my engineering design projects.

The Colours.
My use of the colours of the spectrum, half of the "I"s Red-Orange-Yellow and the other half Green-Blue-Purple, and the black lines to define the outline of the "I"s was directly inspired from a work of art I found on DeviantArt website, named "Colorful Tessellation" by ~TheShadowRider123, Cori Davis of the United States of America. This work of art is dedicated to Cori with my thanks for the inspiration her work gave me.

Using Paint.NET I was able to add what I would describe as a "metallic texture" to the colours, although the program function I used is called "Effects - Distort - Dent" by Paint.NET's menus.

This version of the work has my own watermark added.

Attachments

• tessellated_I_500.jpg
    tessellated_I_500.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 1
Other versions of "Tessellated I"

I also offer these versions -

66% colour saturation -

tessellatedi66sat500.jpg

H orientation, "Tessellated H" so to speak.

tessellatedh500.jpg

Attachments

• tessellated_I_66sat_500.jpg
    tessellated_I_66sat_500.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 0
  • tessellated_H_500.jpg
    tessellated_H_500.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 0
I assume you have some affiliation with paint.net
No. It's free software which I use because it is free. I thought forum members might be interested to know, to compare and contrast software programs.

I can complain about the limitations of Paint.NET if you like, to show my independence of mind.

For example, I'd like to produce a graphic image of my "Tessellated I" but without the rainbow colours, instead plain coloured tiling but achieving the appearance of depth and 3D by using a more realistic rendering, including lighting and shading effects across the tiling surface of my "Tessellated I" pattern representing common tiling materials such as ceramic or steel etc. but I don't know how to achieve that with Paint.NET.

This is a real photograph.

steel-tile.jpg

If I had a graphics program that could draw something like that for my "I" shaped tiles I'd be pleased.

Unfortunately, Paint.NET's tiling reflection plug-in only does this for square, rectangular, rhombus & rhomboid shapes, not an arbitrary tessellation shape.

tests.jpg

Which is all very well if you have those shapes of tiles.

The rainbow colouring of my image are to try to make the "I" shaped pattern interesting because if I produce the same in monotone colours it looks very dull and boring.

So that's what Paint.NET can't do, as far as I know. What do people know about other software packages that can do what I am after?

I use Windows as well. Do I have some "affiliation" with Microsoft now?

I note that the imageshack server is refusing to serve one of my images for some unknown reason so here it is again, served from another server.

tessellated_I_500.jpg

I can complain about the limitations of Paint.NET if you like, to show my independence of mind.

For example, I'd like to produce a graphic image of my "Tessellated I" but without the rainbow colours, instead plain coloured tiling but achieving the appearance of depth and 3D by using a more realistic rendering, including lighting and shading effects across the tiling surface of my "Tessellated I" pattern representing common tiling materials such as ceramic or steel etc. but I don't know how to achieve that with Paint.NET.
Well I know now though it was not obvious how to do it. I quit blaming my tools and got busy.

tessellatedisteel800x60.jpg

View larger version of Tessellated I in Steel 1800 x 800

I'm very happy with that. Bless you Paint.NET! :icon_biggrin: :icon_clapping:

Looks like a beginner tutorial to paint for windows, I'm not sure I get the point. You could make that in minutes it's not very impressive

Looks like a beginner tutorial to paint for windows,
No it doesn't. There aren't step-by-step instructions.

I'm not sure I get the point.
Well you might if you tried to do something like it yourself.

You could make that in minutes
No it took me a lot longer than a few minutes. One day's work for the coloured version and the same again for the steel version.

it's not very impressive
Well it's probably more impressive than you could do but do prove me wrong by accepting this challenge.

There's another way to tessellate I or H shapes, like this.

tessellation_alphabet__h_by_escapepea-d352mdf.png

Perhaps you'd demonstrate producing a spectrum / rainbow version in this kind of tessellation (but with bigger Hs in a bigger image so we can see the detail, as in my images) and a steel version too? After all, you claim it would only take you "minutes".

Last edited:
Perhaps you'd demonstrate producing a spectrum / rainbow version in this kind of tessellation (but with bigger Hs in a bigger image so we can see the detail, as in my images) and a steel version too? After all, you claim it would only take you "minutes".

Why that's the point. It's not design it's just a pattern, there's probably an online generator that could do the same thing. What is the brief? What is the purpose? What does it communicate?

Back