Student survey

charliecope

Is digital visualization an effective medium of communication in the design industry?

Hello, my name is Charlie Copeland and I am a student from Newcastle College. The goal of this survey is to gain responses to these questions that will be used as research for a dissertation task for my course. The responses will remain anonymous, the information shared will be treated confidentially and to be referenced on the dissertation only.

1. Is digital visualization and technology important in your job?
2. Would you still be able to work at your job not being able to use digital visualization and technology?
3. Are you worried that people might not learn other skills required for your job if they focused only on digital visualization and technology?
4. Do you think you could get more job opportunities if you knew how to use more software?
5. Which kind of software do you currently know how to use?
6. Would you consider using other hardware such as virtual reality and augmented reality?
7. Do you produce renders of images that use other rendering styles than photorealism?
8. Have you ever encountered problems producing photorealistic rendered images?
9. What sort of development in digital visualization and technology do you think would benefit you greatly?

Many thanks

Mod Edit - Posted in another thread so moved it to here.
Link to the survey made on Google forms.
https://forms.gle/nRTRkdwr3ekoj9U56

For those that may be interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Is digital visualization and technology important in your job?
Well yes, I work on a computer and if it wasn't digitally visualised then I'd be screwed.
But I don't know exactly what you mean by digital visualtion?

Do you mean infographics?
Do you mean being able to plot a graph of time spent on a job for a customer?
Do you mean something else?

2. Would you still be able to work at your job not being able to use digital visualization and technology?
I don't know what that is.

3. Are you worried that people might not learn other skills required for your job if they focused only on digital visualization and technology?
Still no idea.

4. Do you think you could get more job opportunities if you knew how to use more software?
No. I know how to use all the software I need to use. And if I need to use other software I learn it.

5. Which kind of software do you currently know how to use?
InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, MS Office
And any other software that might be needed.

6. Would you consider using other hardware such as virtual reality and augmented reality?
Used it before, big thumbs down for me. The sector isn't ready and the tools aren't available.
QR codes became a huge thing, but nobody could scan them. It's only recently mobile cameras are able to automatically scan a code.
Before that you needed a special app.

I tried AR for an advert before for cars, it was cool a 3d image of the car came up and you could spin it, open doors, sit in driving seat.
But the interactions with the url were quite low, making it a very awful campaign.

7. Do you produce renders of images that use other rendering styles than photorealism?
Yes

8. Have you ever encountered problems producing photorealistic rendered images?
No

9. What sort of development in digital visualization and technology do you think would benefit you greatly?
No idea what this is.

Wow they're incredibly biased questions which will essentially lead us to give you the answers that will confirm your outcome of the dissertation.... they're not 'open' questions.

@hankscorpio these questions are basically aimed at someone like me, these questions are about 3D modelling/rendering/animation and their usage in a AR/VR environment, it's not really aimed at you guys who work primarily in 2D graphics.

Back